Taking Dogs To The Snow

cassie

I know this has been done before, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in the searches I did. My partner and I are looking into taking the dogs to the snow this year, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding accommodation that will allow them. It would just be the two of us and our two Bernese so we don't need one of those massive chateaus that sleep 20 people. Has anyone done it before? Have read a few things about Dinner Plains, apparently you can take dogs there, but still I can't find accommodation there! I'm ready to file this one in the Too Hard basket :(

Puddleduck has taken her dogs to the snow but I can't remember where it is. It looked great though, hopefully she will see this and let you know.

Good memory SM!

We take them to Dinner Plain every year (except last year....long story!). Its the only place in Australia you can take dogs to the snow, all other alpine villages are within national parks. I'd try for accomodation within DP - Bright and Myrtleford are a reasonable drive away

Have a look HERE - we always book through them and stay at Shiraz which is a 1 bedroom apartment and they love having the dogs there (take extra treats for Ben, who is the dog that belongs to the lady who runs the visitor centre there, he is a sweetheart!). It is an upstairs apartment in the middle of the village. If it doesn't work for you though I'm sure the wonderful ladies there will be able to help find another one that suits you are your dogs :)

Please dont book Shiraz for the first week in August - I'm calling dibs on it!!!! :rofl:

RSA you should be fine to still get accomodation there. We didn't book until around June last year - its not massively busy like the major ski resorts are.

Book away SM, I'll just have to come stay with you there :laugh:

Hopefully will get to go this year! Won't do it without the dogs again, they seem to be the source of the girlchild's happy :laugh: if she doesn't like it this year I'll have to get her reprogrammed :laugh:

Nah she'll have a ball this year I'm sure :thumbsup: She loves the dogs and the dogs love the snow so it's bound to be a win/win :)

Sorry to go OT cassie.

Hope so! If you see her around dogs there is no doubt who's kid she is :rofl: Just need to train the toller to pull a toboggan :)

Puddleduck has taken her dogs to the snow but I can't remember where it is. It looked great though, hopefully she will see this and let you know.

Good memory SM!

We take them to Dinner Plain every year (except last year....long story!). Its the only place in Australia you can take dogs to the snow, all other alpine villages are within national parks. I'd try for accomodation within DP - Bright and Myrtleford are a reasonable drive away

Have a look HERE - we always book through them and stay at Shiraz which is a 1 bedroom apartment and they love having the dogs there (take extra treats for Ben, who is the dog that belongs to the lady who runs the visitor centre there, he is a sweetheart!). It is an upstairs apartment in the middle of the village. If it doesn't work for you though I'm sure the wonderful ladies there will be able to help find another one that suits you are your dogs :)

Please dont book Shiraz for the first week in August - I'm calling dibs on it!!!! :rofl:

RSA you should be fine to still get accomodation there. We didn't book until around June last year - its not massively busy like the major ski resorts are.

Thanks heaps for the info :) I did actually look at that site already, but was expecting to see some of the properties listed as "dog friendly" but as far as I saw none of them said that so I assumed none were. Is it a matter of calling each one to enquire whether they allow dogs?

Good memory SM!

Thanks heaps for the info :) I did actually look at that site already, but was expecting to see some of the properties listed as "dog friendly" but as far as I saw none of them said that so I assumed none were. Is it a matter of calling each one to enquire whether they allow dogs?

Just call or email the accommodation service (details will be listed on that site) and tell them what you are after, and they'll give you a list of properties to choose from :)

Awesome I will do that tonight, thankyou so much! :)

No worries. It's our favourite place in the world, if you go I'm sure you will love it :)

Try to arrive in daylight as well. The drive up from the bright side can be a bit scary, particularly in the dark!!!

What sorts of things do you do once there? Other than walks with the dogs? We were considering going skiing for just one day so I was looking at kennels in the area, but I'm not sure the expense of hiring everything would be worth it for one day. Would have liked to watch the sled dog races but you can't take your own dogs to that. You go for a week usually, is that right? Do you find that a good amount of time?

Loads of walking. I can't ski, so I love to just spend quiet time reading. Usually I hang with the dogs while hubby goes skiing at hotham (20 minute bus ride away). Hubby also loves photography so he spends a lot of time taking photos while the dogs and I play behind the camera. Throwing snowballs for a ball obsessed dog is hilarious-he gets so mad when he can't find them :laugh:

If we are there for the sled dog races we just leave the dogs in the apartment while we go watch, it would be a 2 minute walk from where we stay to the race. Although you may find it harder to get dog friendly accommodation when it's on, as most of the sled dog guys book waaaay in advance.

We try to go for a week to 10 days. If we thought we could get good, steady work down there I doubt we would leave-we just love it. The only annoying thing is there are no yards attached to any of the places we stay at so have to make sure we come back regularly to let then out to toilet. And if they decide they 'need' to go in the middle of the night it's bloody awful dragging yourself out of since warm bed. I strongly recommend making your OH do that job - mine does because I am fairly prone to falling over a LOT down there, I swear I have no balance at all :laugh: especially when you add ice. I would also recommend teaching a reliable heel before you go cos walking a pulling dog on an icy road is hilarious for everyone else watching but not so much for yourself :rofl: :D