Join Ian Dunbar On His Australian Lecture Tour

Hi all, I just received this email - it gives me permission to cross post, so I hope it's okay. If your into Ian Dunbar, agility, rally O, obedience or good companion dog training then I think the sydney one is a must, the girls and I have just booked our tickets and heading to sydney in 3 weeks.......can't wait! Apparently he is also doing a lecture in Perth SBDTwF.

Join Ian as he brings to Australia 2 new seminars in his lecturer series.

Sydney - 'Reliability & K9 Games' Workshop - Learn to establish baseline behaviour, quantify - response, reliability, speed & precision and this…….is just day 1

Melbourne - 'Social Behaviour & Aggression' - Understand dominance or so called dominant behaviour and lets debunk the 'dominance myth'. Learn about the social hierarchy of development in litters and the complexity of co-operative social structure - and this is just day 1.

Places for Dog & Handler are filling quickly at the Sydney Workshop (questionnaire attached). Spectator places are still available with the 'Early Bird Specials' closing on the 15th of Jan. We welcome all enquiries and group discounts are also available.

www.dunbarinoz.com

If the Sydney workshop was in Melbourne I'd be there in a flash! Unfortunately I have other seminars on in Feb and I just can't afford the extra cost and time off work.

Yes, pity Melbourne isn't having the same as Sydney - I'd go too. I went to his seminar last year and enjoyed it but this year looks much the same, so I think I'll save my money for others things.

Went to one years ago and would love to go but once again SA doeasn't exist (neither does Tas, NT or Qld). Don't organisers understand how big Australia is and that not everyone can afford plane fares to these destinations? If the event is so good then ticket sales in these other states would be guaranteed.

I have been many, many years ago to his seminars!

I am interested in going, but my boy has only just been cut down from the confirmation ring. We haven't done much "serious" training.....sit. down etc. I am wondering if it is worth taking him......or if we will both end up looking like twits!! :laugh:

I'm going- heading up from Canberra, and considering that my older Cardi girl (6yo) has a autoimmune condition that effects her jaw muscles, so she doesn't play tug anymore, and my new baby Cardi boy will only be 4 months old, I emailed the organiser, Colleen, who was lovely and actually emailed Ian Dunbar for his input on which dog to bring! So I'll be there with a Brindle and White Cardigan Corgi if you want to come and say hi!

I am interested in going, but my boy has only just been cut down from the confirmation ring. We haven't done much "serious" training.....sit. down etc. I am wondering if it is worth taking him......or if we will both end up looking like twits!! :laugh:

Hi, from what I understand of the questionnaire your dog doesn't have to be titled or magnificently trained, the workshop is designed to teach reliability of exercises, how to fun with the dogs using games as a strategy to teach and then the sunday is the K9 Games - the part i'm looking forward to - having mega fun with my dog, we are not hugely trained, but he is well behaved around other dogs and that seems to be enough.

Ona

So you can take dogs to the Sydney event but not to the one in Melbourne, is that right? On the website it looks like the Melbourne seminar is just for people, no dogs.

Melbourne is about Social Behaviour & Aggression for people, no dogs. Ian has done a 30 year study at Berkely University on the topic and I can't wait to hear what he has to say about it all. Imagine being out the other end of a massive study like that and what information he would have gained.

Hope to meet some of you there :)

Went to one years ago and would love to go but once again SA doeasn't exist (neither does Tas, NT or Qld). Don't organisers understand how big Australia is and that not everyone can afford plane fares to these destinations? If the event is so good then ticket sales in these other states would be guaranteed.

Hi ya, yes in answer to your question event organisers are aware and it's not always far for those who live in other states I went to last years SBDTwF (I'm from Perth) and the best thing I got was a great network of trainers & industry reps from other states, I can tell you how useful some of those connections have been in the last 12 months.

I hope this works, but I thought I would attach my copy of the questionnaire they sent me.

Ona

Dog workshop questionnairev2.doc

So you can take dogs to the Sydney event but not to the one in Melbourne, is that right? On the website it looks like the Melbourne seminar is just for people, no dogs.

yes. But in Sydney you obviously need a working spot to bring your dog. They're looking for a range of dogs, but want sports dogs (ie trained at a decent level of OB or agility) too.

ETA: My understanding of the sports dog criteria is more about having dogs that understand how to train/problem solve, are engaged, focused and their owners have a communication system with them.

Edited by megan_

yes. But in Sydney you obviously need a working spot to bring your dog. They're looking for a range of dogs, but want sports dogs (ie trained at a decent level of OB or agility) too.

ETA: My understanding of the sports dog criteria is more about having dogs that understand how to train/problem solve, are engaged, focused and their owners have a communication system with them.

Hey Megan, yes you need a 'working spot', they certainly are looking for a range of dogs, but mine is not a sporting dog! I think the thing that got me through is that my dog gives great focus towards me, we can do the basics and then some extended work. I'm figure that I might not be able to enter in all the games because they will be a bit more than the training I and my dog have but I really want to join in on Day 1 & 2 the most, learn how to get the reliability from my dog and to quantify, how to get speed in learning etc. I figure that by day 3 - K9 Games if I think I can do any of them, well I will give it a shot.

I think if you are in doubt you should email the promoters, Colleen - I spoke with her at length about my dog and my reservations about bringing him and she helped me realise that I could engage with my dog as much as I liked or as little as I liked, that took the pressure of me a bit. :)

Ona

Just had a training session this morning

Ok I am getting super nervous now.. I am so afraid me and my dog will get kicked out!! I just read all about the games and highly doubt we could do them.. hes a super friendly dog, but easily distracted by other dogs/people and when he does get distracted his recall is very average...

Maybe I can try and teach him a better recall over the next 2 weeks.. but omg, slightly panicking now!

I will do that, thanks Megan :) If I have treats and can get his attention he usually does ok. Like this morning we were agility training with another dog in the ring and he could do his series of jumps, tunnels etc without getting distracted until the end! :p