Should I X-ray

dasha

Just wondering what people do.

My bitch was mated on 19th November so that puts her due about 21st jan.

Am considering getting an X-ray to try to find out numbers but is it really necessary.

Her last litter I didn't X-ray. She popped out pups no problems. Her belly already looks bigger than it did last time!

Just thinking that everything has gone so smoothly is it just a waste. Should I be patient and just be surprised at what is delivered

We will always x-ray and are so glad that we did last time.

Link whelped during the Queanbeyan Floods and we were essentially trapped in with only one vet that could possibly be accessed in an emergency. We had x-rayed her the day before so we knew that she was only carrying 4 puppies. Given that, we were able to monitor her and knew that once the 4th pup arrived we didn't have any more coming and could relax in terms of finding a vet for an emergency c-section during a natural disaster. You just never know what is going to happen on the day and I would rather at least know how many puppies I am expecting.

As you sure there is a good size litter onboard I guess it really doesn't matter.

One of my daughter's girls looked like she was carrying at least 4-5 pups and she didn't xray. Cindy surprised us with 2 huge puppies. The first got stuck and couldn't be saved. The second was also stuck but a wee bit smaller but survived. In that case it would have been great to be prepared for just two large puppies.