Cleaning Of Dog Crates

honeybun

Bleach and F10 are the only things that kill parvo (in reasonable concentrations).

Nope, there's also Virkon.

Although it has to be used within a couple of days of mixing it up. I only use Virkon for grass (because unlike F10, it can do grass reasonably well). I use F10 for concrete and the weekly disinfects and for general daily stuff (like tidying out crates after dogs have eaten in them), I use Equinade disinfectant. It really depends on what you're cleaning for- for general cleaning, things like Equinade or Delete (although Delete smells like hellish death to me so I only use it on outside things), for things that might be contaminated with something serious, Virkon or F10, depending on the surface. You could also use bleach but it can damage metal and I'd definitely not use bleach on a crate.

You are right, I had found bleach was damaging the metal doors of the crates.:confused:

I want to work on parvo,whip worm,and any other nasty thing I havent even thought [or known] about.!

I transport the dogs only, so dont have them in my property,only my motor vehicle...its new so have to be very careful of what I use...want to keep it"nice" for a while longer before I just give up and accept the inevitable.:)

You are right, I had found bleach was damaging the metal doors of the crates.:confused:

I want to work on parvo,whip worm,and any other nasty thing I havent even thought [or known] about.!

I transport the dogs only, so dont have them in my property,only my motor vehicle...its new so have to be very careful of what I use...want to keep it"nice" for a while longer before I just give up and accept the inevitable.:)

For the extra nasties (parvo, lepto, etc), F10 or Virkon would do the job just fine. It's worth bearing in mind though that neither of those products contain detergents so while they'll disinfect, they won't actually remove soiling.

For poundies, if it were me, I'd spray out with something like the equinade disinfectant first (any disinfectant with detergent in it), leave it five minutes, wipe it clean and then give it a few minutes to dry before spraying out with F10 (and then leave that to dry completely before the next dog gets in).

F10 without a doubt, it's what reptile breeders and handlers use. Reptile owners tend to be a lot more hygiene aware than most dog owners.

Bleach is an oxidiser, it'll cause almost all metals to rust. It'll be fine on plastic. I do use bleach to clean our rabbit bowls quite frequently (and a relatively strong mixture) but I wouldn't make a habit of using it on crates.