Melbourne Doggy Daycare Recommendations

CollieChaos

Hi Guys,

When I get my new puppy, I want to be able to take him with me a lot, I can take him into work with me (the Pets Hotel in port melbourne), but I dont want to create seperation anxiety either. So I was thinking, perhaps I could do do some daycares outside of where I work (there is full daycare facilities there as well). Does anyone have any recommendations for daycare facilities? Preferably one where the dogs dont come home smelling like urine lol

Can he not stay at home? I'm a big believer of dogs being taught that they are ok being on their own at times. Mine come to work with me 2 times a week each at the moment (I'm lucky, well maybe they're lucky compared to many other dogs!!), but they other 3 days they stay at home (1 day with other dog 2 days on their own). If he can come to work with you a couple of times a week he will be ok having alone time. If he's used to being entertained all the time either by people or other dogs he might develop a reliance on this.

Which are of Melbourne would you be prepared to take him to? I actually don't know of any that I'd recommend as I haven't used any and the only ones I know of (through people who have worked there) I would only recommend to be shut down and no one leave their dog there. But other may know of some, but it might be helpful to know which regions.

Can he not stay at home? I'm a big believer of dogs being taught that they are ok being on their own at times. Mine come to work with me 2 times a week each at the moment (I'm lucky, well maybe they're lucky compared to many other dogs!!), but they other 3 days they stay at home (1 day with other dog 2 days on their own). If he can come to work with you a couple of times a week he will be ok having alone time. If he's used to being entertained all the time either by people or other dogs he might develop a reliance on this.

Which are of Melbourne would you be prepared to take him to? I actually don't know of any that I'd recommend as I haven't used any and the only ones I know of (through people who have worked there) I would only recommend to be shut down and no one leave their dog there. But other may know of some, but it might be helpful to know which regions.

This. Are you teaching him to be alone at any time?

In that area i'd take him to Diggiddy Doggy Daycare. Their staff- dog ratios are really good and i have lots of happy clients who use them.

Thanks for the recommendation Cosmolo, I might stop by there on the way home/to work later this week :)

Thanks for the concern about home time, this however is not the topic of the thread :)

Hi

We use dog chic in south yarra near the como centre on toorak road.

www.dogchic.com.au

Our puppy has been going there for the last 3 to 4 months. He began at around 12 weeks of age.

Our puppy loves spending days with Tim, the owner/operator and all his doggy friends. He is super super excited when we arrive each morning, scratching on the footpath outside the door in anticipation.

We use dogchic once a week, so our dog also has 3 days a week at home.

I checked out a couple of other day care places before finding Tim. I found the other places unpleasant and the dogs seemed stressed (so much so i was just considering engaging a dog walker instead) whereas Tim has a very relaxed, laid back style and relates so well with the dogs.

Besides coming home super super tired, our puppy has also been washed and groomed, so he smells beautiful. No urine smells!

Tim has strong views on the need to build a relationship with each dog and ensuring the dogs get along well together. Accordingly, he does not offer occasional daycare as such. It's necessary to buy a pack of 10 day passes. On reflection, we decided we like this aspect of dogchic and this relationship also means Tim is happy to take the dogs out for a long walk in the parks and streets around (anywhere between 2 to 4 hours). I know other places will not do this. Too much risk and, presumably, insurance implications. However, in meeting Tim and seeing how he handles the dogs we were happy to make the decision to go ahead with dogchic.

I also liked the facilities. A converted house witha good play area along with doggy beds scattered around the balconies looking out onto the street (all behind very secure fences). This felt very different from converted factory/work sheds with lots of flexiplave which felt sterile, no natural light and had a negative atmosphere.

Overall, I could not recommend dog chic highly enough based on our experience.

Good luck. Hope you find somewhere that meets your requirements.

amw

You mention you work in Port Melbourne, unsure where home is? If it is in inner-West, then one option could be Hairy Hounds: http://hairyhounds.com.au/dog-grooming.php I take Kisho (my PomxSpitz) there for grooming. He's been there twice now and I've been happy with it. The second time I decided to pay for 1/2 doggy play time (doggy day care) after the grooming (as I was at work, etc). He had a ball and came home exhausted! They told me too he was the life of the party. He is (as Mama Moocher would attest), so this made me think that yes, they were watching him. I went to Hairy Hounds as a friend / former colleague used to take their golden retriever there all the time.

With Kisho - it confirmed my belief that he would love to live in a house full of dogs, cats, goldfish, anything! He's one lucky boy going from Mama Moocher's (aka Danny's Darling) to my place. :)

After taking my dog to another daycare centre for about a year, I switched him over to Diggity Doggy Daycare in Sth Melb and am really glad I did.

As cosmolo pointed out their dog to human ratio is really good and the girls are an absolute delight.

If you're in the area, pop in for a look!

Can't recommend them highly enough.

Edited by Poison