Problems With House Training

newgoldie

I agree with what everyone else has said too :)

Just on the same topic, how about if it's raining? Some pups don't like the feel of the wet grass and it puts them off. Would you just keep standing there with an umbrella over the two of you?

I have the same problem with rain, sun and wind with my pup Lollipup!

By the way, love the names Lola and Chester - same names as my two cats!

Thanks everyone for your tips! :grouphug:

We are taking him out about every hour, but I think it looks like we're not being patient enough when we are outside. It makes sense that this means he is learning that he can go inside if we aren't giving him time whiles he's out there.

Much as the chair and the book idea is appealling, our pup tends to spend any time not playing outside looking for stones to chew on. We are contantly following him around while he's out there in case he swallows one - this then seems to be counter-productive as he is then getting our attention.

He is also not keen on the midday sun (we're in WA so he's gonna have to get used to this at some point!) or the wind (we're on the coast, so ditto!), or the rain! In case you haven't guessed, this is the first dog we've had from a pup and it's exhausting, although we love him to bits which makes up for the frustrating bits! :heart:

Sounds like you might need to puppy-proof the backyard, or block off access to the parts you dont want him getting to. He might want to play in the yard at some point anyway, so having it puppy safe is a good idea.

Or, chair, book, puppy on a leash so he can't wander!

You might just have to experiment and find what works for you (and him!) :)

Sounds like a lead would definitely come in handy, that way you can keep him close whilst keeping an eye on him, as well as directing him to the part of the yard where you expect him to toilet.

Sometimes it might take 30 minutes for him to go at first, but make such a massive fuss of it when he does go, and then play with him before taking him back inside.

Hope it goes well :)

Just wanted to let everyone know that we're doing much better on the house-training front!

We've opted for the bribery method (on the basis that this is a Goldie and he is driven by his tummy! :laugh: )

We've invested in some fake grass in an area off the patio which isn't so sunny - when it's time we take him to this area and give him one of his usual biscuits, say 'Go wee-wee's' and I would say around 8 out of 10 times he does his business within a few minutes. He then gets lots of praise & another biscuit for doing such a great job :thumbsup:

Not saying we haven't had the odd accident, but have stopped banking our heads against the wall!

Thanks everyone for your tips :D

Edited by newgoldie