Grieving Staffordshire

Blue nelson

Hi everyone, I am new to the sight and relatively new to the Staffordshire world.

I had two beautiful English Staffordshire's until recently our female was bitten by a tiger snake. Our male is nearly five and has been with the female since he was one.

I understand he has lost his best mate and will grieve for her but does anyone know approx how long?

He has suffered from separation anxiety as a pup hence the our decision to find him mate. They were inseparable.

Our dogs have been very involved in our family tripping across the countryside wherever we may go.

My main concern is that he will never be the same. He does not want to leave our side, he will howl and cry if he can't see us, sleeping all the time and laying where she passed.

What are others experiences if any and how did you help your companion.

:heart: I am so sorry for your loss.

From my experience it takes about a month to 6 weeks but it is important that you try to stick with your regular routine (as much as you can).

Letting him get away with things that he would not normally be allowed may exaserbate things.

So very sad to see a pet grieve. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I had a 13 year old sct who lost her 12 son one December and she aged overnight. She'd just lay looking out the back glass doors crying. It was terrible to see. She was the type of dog who enjoyed being part of a pack and had never been an only dog before coming to me at age 1 or after. In the January an older sbt pup needed a carer and my old girl doted on her, showing her doggy social skills, grooming her, showing her the routine, etc. The pup ended up being my heart girl and has remained here even though my old girl had to be pts in mid 2011 just before her 17th b'day.

I am not suggesting you get another dog unless that is what you want and can manage but some dogs find comfort in a companion or being part of a pack. In my case I had no plans to get another dog and certainly not so soon after losing our boy - it is just how things worked out. I also think in your case you would need to get an adult rather than a puppy and at least your dog could meet another potential new dog to see if they are compatible first.

As Tazar said continue with your regular routine and perhaps engage your boy in more activities he likes where possible. This will tire him out physically and he will get caught up in the game. Certainly don't baby him when he seems blue as you can reinforce this behaviour.

It's been 6 months since we lost my bull terrier Atlas. My 11 year old cat seems to be going downhill more and more each day :( she's been checked over and nothing is medically wrong and it breaks my heart

I hope your dog can deal with this

My daughter had two viszlas who were siblings. The male died of cancer late last year and his sister fretted terribly. She came home one day to find a neighbour had left a note in her letterbox complaining about the noise from her girl. She then had to leave her in the house when she went out. She recently got a new puppy and her girl is happy again. She just didnt like being by herself. She is 12.

The best thing you can do for him is keep life as normal as possible.

If you normally go for a walk in the morning or evening, still give him the chance to go. It may be a little slower or less enthusiastic but he will improve.

I am so sorry for your loss.