A Shocking Example Of "training"

For those who don't want to watch it.

The dogs were in a fairly close grouped drop/stay. Fire-works/crackers where suddenly ignited in the midst of them. The dogs broke and the handlers choked/pulled/corrected via strong leash corrections. The dogs were panicked. The dogs didn't return to the drop (they'd been startled into hind-brain mode, so no room to think) and so the respective handlers uncomfortably and roughly wrestled/forced their dogs to the drop. Most dogs were hunched and really didn't know what was going on.

Stupid stupid. Doesn't do the word "training" any justice. I only saw damage being done, no good.

Thanks for that erny. I was thinking I should explain it for those who don't want to watch it but you worded it better than I could have.

It is stupid the things that some people do in the name of training. I wasn't even sure what to call the thread because you can't really call this training or excuse it as training.

If I were a student there I would leave, id never be able to do that to a dog, especially a dog that i live with and love.

It would be so damaging to the bond between these dogs and owners. Dogs are so forgiving, too much sometimes.

I watched this months ago and can't bring myself to watch it again. The idea that anybody thinks that is dog training is just disgusting.

The dogs are on prong collars if I remember correctly :( Horrible use of that tool, and just a horrible way to treat dogs in general. Dog panics, hits prong collar, panics harder, hits prong collar harder... just horrifying.

How could you put your dog through that? How could you watch that? Even before they set off the firecracks, the dogs are all unhappy/stressed. They're all "powerful" driven breeds too, malinois and GSDs. There are OTHER WAYS to train these breeds people :(!

Have a cute video of my working line GSD and kitten to cleanse your soul of that horrible video.

for anyone interested, the ""trainer""" is Warren Diffey, of Team Red K9.

Edited by lovemesideways

I watched this months ago and can't bring myself to watch it again. The idea that anybody thinks that is dog training is just disgusting.

The dogs are on prong collars if I remember correctly :( Horrible use of that tool, and just a horrible way to treat dogs in general. Dog panics, hits prong collar, panics harder, hits prong collar harder... just horrifying.

How could you put your dog through that? How could you watch that? Even before they set off the firecracks, the dogs are all unhappy/stressed. They're all "powerful" driven breeds too, malinois and GSDs. There are OTHER WAYS to train these breeds people :(!

Have a cute video of my working line GSD and kitten to cleanse your soul of that horrible video.

for anyone interested, the ""trainer""" is Warren Diffey, of Team Red K9.

IMHO this should be labelled as sadistic & abusive behavior NOT "proofing" where one HELPS the animal suceed/get it right, under distracting circumstances, in order to BUILD CONFIDENCE, not destroy confidence

To me the instructor appeared to be ignorant of of when why & how & at what level, to proof dogs to distractions To me he appeared determined to set up these already frightened dogs, with their ears back in a hunched posture, & owners in threatening stance) to be wrong/punished. Not only are they going to be more frightened to assume the position of a Drop Stay, they are now going to associate severe punishment with distractions

& lose all trust of their owners !!!