Wandering Dog On Street

kiesha09

There's a dog in my street who spends most days sleeping under our truck (in our drive way). I like him, he's a nice dog. He just likes to watch, he's no menace, he likes a pat but he'll only approach people if you bend down and cajole him, he has no interest in approaching other dogs.

I know most people on DOL would be up in arms if they saw him:

"OMG loose dog, kill it with fire".

But he's really no problem, noone on our street has an issue with him, he's no danger or annoyance to anyone, it's a quiet street and he's car savvy so he's no danger to himself either.

If you are genuinely worried about that dog being run over, then good on you for doing something. But otherwise I wouldn't, I know I contravene the orthodox DOL view of loose dogs, but I like our resident loose dog. He's pretty old too, and he's been living this lifestyle all his life, it'd upset him to change it, he does no harm and it's nice to come out and see his tail thump in greeting in the morning sun.

No flame suit, I'm sure DOL groupthink will have a field day, and lambast me roundly for that view, but meh. IDC.

Um...not sure why you would think that 'DOL' would react like that - in the 5 years I've been a member, I've never seen that reaction. I must have missed that when it occurred... :confused:

Keisha09, good on you to report the dog to the council, I've done that myself and the loose dog is now carefully locked up behind gates that were mended. These days you can give information anonymously so no fear of 'retribution'.

Edited by poochmad

I try and catch dogs I find wandering unless like the swf last week they growl and bare their teeth. Most dogs seem happy to be found. If they have a tag I ring otherwise I take to local vet as its usual out of ranger hours. Every few months I seem to be late for work due to it lol

Picked up a small dog only last week, her was in the road and there wasn't a soul in sight. I know the area and didn't recognise the dog at all so took her to the vet where it turned out she was chipped. She didn't have a collar on and had a terrible rash on her underside with major hairloss. I asked the vets to speak to the owners when they came to pick her up. She was very sore and had obviously been for some time.

I have also reported neighbours to the council because they let their dogs out and have them off lead.

I was very worried about repercussions of course but am terrified the dogs will kill or attack another dog, they are da. It turns out they've been reported on several occasions ...

It's worth trying to do the right thing although it doesn't always fix the issue, especially when the people are feral, they just keep doing the same thing. The laws are deficient in this area.