Dogs Not Restrained In Moving Vehicles

Mystiqview

Guest crickets

Sorry about Faith, hope she heals quickly. :hug:

The other day my sister rocked up with her dog just sitting loosely in the back seat in her bed...she has a harness, so no excuse. The only way I could get her to put her in was to tell her it was the law and Goulburn is the last place you want to break the law (due to the number of cops).

We never have the windows open due to flying debri. Also, I hate the noise of a window down when driving.

Despite the number of times this comes up on DOL - people keep perpetuating the myth it is the law to restrain.

There is no law that says you have to restrain your dog in the back of a car.

yes this is correct! If the dog is clearly a distraction to the driver you can be pinged for that but there is no actual law for restraining a dog IN a vehicle. There are only laws for restraining dogs ON a vehicle.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the number of times this comes up on DOL - people keep perpetuating the myth it is the law to restrain.

Then feel free to get a great dane in the back of your neck if you have to break suddenly. :)

Guest crickets

Then feel free to get a great dane in the back of your neck if you have to break suddenly. :)

I didn't read Danois post as saying lets all let our dogs ride unrestrained just because we can. More just pointing out the fact that there isn't actually a law covering it when most people think there is. :shrug:

Not quite correct apparently - I found the following on several vets' websites:

"Throughout Australia the laws surrounding dog restraint when travelling in or on the back of a car vary from state to state.

In New South Wales all dogs must be restrained. In Victoria, dogs travelling on utes must be restrained. Whereas in South Australia hefty fines apply if a dog should be injured in the process of travel. In Western Australia it is illegal for a dog to travel on the lap of the driver. For more information, we recommend visiting your local road safety authority's website."

Guest crickets

Not quite correct apparently - I found the following on several vets' websites:

"Throughout Australia the laws surrounding dog restraint when travelling in or on the back of a car vary from state to state.

In New South Wales all dogs must be restrained. In Victoria, dogs travelling on utes must be restrained. Whereas in South Australia hefty fines apply if a dog should be injured in the process of travel. In Western Australia it is illegal for a dog to travel on the lap of the driver. For more information, we recommend visiting your local road safety authority's website."

ok, blimey, no wonder there is confusion!

A bit more info:

NSW: Drivers caught with unrestrained dogs risk fines of more than $400, with 170 people charged over the offence since the pet-related road rule was introduced in NSW in July 2012. The legislation, which stipulates that motorists must not drive a vehicle with an animal on their lap or preventing them from having proper control of the car, carries a penalty of three demerit points and $338, rising to $422 in a school zone. If an animal is injured as a result of being unrestrained, owners also face up to six months' jail and fines of up to $5500 under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act. The RSPCA managing inspector, Matthew French, said that even the Australian tradition of conveying dogs untethered on the back of utes could land drivers with on-the-spot fines of $500 under the Act. (from a Sydney Morning Herald article)

WA: In WA, recent changes to road rules have made it an offence to drive with an animal in your lap. The penalty is a $100 fine and the loss of one demerit point. (from RAC WA website)

Although Danois is correct in saying that it appears there's no law applying to restraining a dog in the BACK of a vehicle, there are just recommendations that the dog be behind a cargo barrier or in a crate or strapped into a harness. I guess it depends on the police officer who pulls you over, and whether he/she considers that an unrestrained dog loose inside the car is preventing you from "having proper control of the car".

Edited by spikey

I used to let Itoy just roam (although he never did) in the car - but learning that when they are in the passenger seat and the air bags go off this can kill dogs (and children). He was then put in half a crate teathered into the backseat. Now we have Suerti we use a pet hammock and they are attached to the car headrest backseat always :)

Side note: I love landcruiser mountain park - spent alot of my teenage years there. My uncle does most of the competitions :thumbsup:

Admittedly, I was guilty of this early on with Giorgio though I wasn't the one driving. I'd sit at the back of the car, hold him very tightly and let him look out the window with his harness on. This was because if he doesn't have his head out the window, he gets carsick, very anxious and starts whining. We can't roll down the windows either. I did this during emergency trips to the vet because otherwise he would throw up and felt worse than he already was :(

We have a Snoozer high car seat now (got it for $60, down from $140), and are working on very short car trips with him.

Well luckily for me my dog is trained to lie down in a vehicle without the need to restrain - especially given the fact that any harness that allows him to be able to move comfortably would have the same effect.

A bit more info:

NSW: Drivers caught with unrestrained dogs risk fines of more than $400, with 170 people charged over the offence since the pet-related road rule was introduced in NSW in July 2012. The legislation, which stipulates that motorists must not drive a vehicle with an animal on their lap or preventing them from having proper control of the car, carries a penalty of three demerit points and $338, rising to $422 in a school zone. If an animal is injured as a result of being unrestrained, owners also face up to six months' jail and fines of up to $5500 under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act. The RSPCA managing inspector, Matthew French, said that even the Australian tradition of conveying dogs untethered on the back of utes could land drivers with on-the-spot fines of $500 under the Act. (from a Sydney Morning Herald article)

WA: In WA, recent changes to road rules have made it an offence to drive with an animal in your lap. The penalty is a $100 fine and the loss of one demerit point. (from RAC WA website)

Although Danois is correct in saying that it appears there's no law applying to restraining a dog in the BACK of a vehicle, there are just recommendations that the dog be behind a cargo barrier or in a crate or strapped into a harness. I guess it depends on the police officer who pulls you over, and whether he/she considers that an unrestrained dog loose inside the car is preventing you from "having proper control of the car".

I would not a) cite a vet website as a reliable source of interpretation of a law and b) cite the SMH article as it actually also incorrect.

The RTA has confirmed in writing that there is no law and it only recommends people restrain for safety reasons.

Well luckily for me my dog is trained to lie down in a vehicle without the need to restrain - especially given the fact that any harness that allows him to be able to move comfortably would have the same effect.

Whether or not your dog is lying down will make no difference in a car accident.

ETA: should have been brake in the previous post but somehow break is more appropriate.

Actually it will - based on the size of the dog the worst he can do it be thrown against the back of the front seats. He cannot go over them or through the middle - simply not enough space. If he was in a harness with sufficient length to turn around etc then if the brakes were slammed on he would end up in the exact same place.

But hey - what do I do. Not like I have ever seen my dog in the back of my car and the respective space/ distances.

If it rolls the same thing applies - there is very limited space he can go into and it would be the same if he was restrained or unrestrained. Not sure why you are having so much issues understanding the whole spatial thing. There is physically no way my dog can leave the back seat area - might be different story for you with multiple small dogs.

And there is not too much risk of rolling your car doing 60km on inner city streets...

Apologies for the minor highjack OP - but I really need to upgrade the restraints in my car. I need some metre long restraints with lead type clips on both ends to clip into the harness and top of the head rests - this would allow the westies to lie down an sit comfortably on the back seat. ( I have a back seat buddy without holes so can't get to the seat belt clicky things - and I don't want to put holes in the back set buddy).

I have looked in the past but has anyone seen a longer length restraint with lead clips on both ends? Or have any better ideas?

TIA smile.gif

Apologies for the minor highjack OP - but I really need to upgrade the restraints in my car. I need some metre long restraints with lead type clips on both ends to clip into the harness and top of the head rests - this would allow the westies to lie down an sit comfortably on the back seat. ( I have a back seat buddy without holes so can't get to the seat belt clicky things - and I don't want to put holes in the back set buddy).

I have looked in the past but has anyone seen a longer length restraint with lead clips on both ends? Or have any better ideas?

TIA smile.gif

Wll check in the morning what mine are because that is what we have (OH is a t work with the car) - Black DOg do have the double ended leads

Poor Faith, best wishes for a smooth recovery (hugs). I would be very interesting in following her progress if you wouldn't mind updating please. (My boy is having an THR on Wed).

Sure. But you may have to remind me.

Won't be much to report in the next two weeks until stitches come out.