Help - Not Eating After Surgery

Thanks everyone. Good news, I just got him to eat some chicken. I've been syringing water into his mouth aswell, but he even just lapped up some water.

I'll keep you all informed, but it looks like he is getting better by himself.

Sounds to me like he is feeling nausea owing to the metacam being given on an empty or almost empty tummy. Vicious circle. When they feel nauseated, they won't eat, then back where we started.

Glad he seems to be doing better. If he stops eating again, quit the metacam until he is feeling strong and energized from a few good days of food. It is way more important that he eats and rehydrates.

Best wishes with your sweet boy :)

So glad he's feeling better! Good nutrition is important for healing! :thumbsup:

What type was his tumour? My dog had a hemangiosarcoma rupture and emergency surgery to remove it last July! Suspected lifespan (despite best treatment) 4-6 months... BUT 8+ months later she is absolutely amazing, literally better than she's been in years!

So glad he's feeling better! Good nutrition is important for healing! :thumbsup:

What type was his tumour? My dog had a hemangiosarcoma rupture and emergency surgery to remove it last July! Suspected lifespan (despite best treatment) 4-6 months... BUT 8+ months later she is absolutely amazing, literally better than she's been in years!

Hi Xyz,

Sorry I have no idea what type the tumour was. I purposely chose not to do the pathology as I really didn't want to know if the tumour was benign or malignant. I'm happier not knowing, and have convinced myself that it was benign as it was 450grams (dog was 6.7kg) and hadn't spread anywhere else. He is a dog prone to strange lumps and has had three other lump removal operations (skin lumps though). The vet said that a lot of people were like me and didn't want to know.

If he gets another lump or tumour, I will just worry about it then. So sorry, I couldn't help. Would have been interesting to find out what sort of it was. I never thought of that at the time, I just preferred the idea of living in ignorance about the possible malignancy of the cancer.