Puppy Fangs Help!

StaffSam

Hi everyone, need some advice.Our 11 week old stafford has the usual puppy biting issues! From the day we got her we have been trying to train in bite inhibition... We have tried the yelp and walk away. Initially we get a response as she stops and hates it when we walk off and leave her. We also give her chew toys during play so she dosent bite us! We have been consistent in our approach. So far she has learnt to sit and do small stays and can also drop and roll. We can't seem to shake the bites though... Every time we sit with her it starts again and it really hurts!!!!My question is are we doing the right things and at what age will this start to stop.? Is there anything else we can do? We have a 4 year old child also so want to make sure we get it right...btw she is totally gorgeous but those fangs hurt. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Hi :)

nipping/playing using teeth is obviously great between pups..but not great for humans :(

It may well last until the pup is taught otherwise ..be it 2 days or a year!

if you click on this LINK it will show you that you are NOT alone ..and there are many different ways to go about making life more comfortable :)

I suggest you also have read of the ebook you will find when you click this LINK, too :)

Thanks so much Persephone.. Just been having a read of both.. and it's good to know not alone.. Just been reading old comments on this issue eek1.gif Will hang in there and keep consistent training. I'm not a first time dog owner my old dog was never a nipper... So although I know the behaviour exists have been at a loss on how to stop it quickly!!!! smile.gif Thanks again

You might find this link of interest: http://leemakennels.com/blog/dog-behaviour/dog-training-dog-behaviour/how-to-stop-puppy-biting/

There's a lot of different methods you can try, and one of them is bound to work. Sounds like you're doing well with all the other training. Some dogs are naturally more oral than others, and they take a bit more time to learn.

Thanks so much leema... Great info.. Some I have been trying and others to look at to. I have been rapt with how quickly she has settled in to her new home and also how eager and quick she is to learn during training.. I just want to make sure I get it right so I don't let her down smile.gif Thanks heaps

When she goes to bite you, press your thumb under her tongue and hold it. She'll carry on like a pork chop but say nothing at all. If you let go and she goes in again, go again but a little more firm this time. She has to learn what it actually feels like when she does it. Squealing incites more excitement, giving a toy does not get the idea through that teeth on people = bad. Don't feel sorry doing it, it's better then your child being covered in bite marks because the pup never got the point.

The point is to deal with the behavior directly. Pups are at an exploratory stage and for something this potentially serious there is nothing wrong with really putting your foot down and stopping it in one go. It's something personally I don't believe in playing at over a prolonged period. The only dogs I've redirected onto toys are the working dogs I don't want to totally instill bite inhibition towards humans - but then down the track it's not the result you want from your dog :laugh:

Edited by Nekhbet