Doggies, Please Explain:

Stussy caught her first mouse today (with only minor help from me)! Oh it is a proud day in this house - she has been trying to catch one for years but her terrier blood kept failing her. Anyway, she still doesn't know that some dogs mangle/eat them as well. As soon as she heard breakfast bikkies being sprinkled into her bowl she spat the wet mouse out and ran to her spot.

biggrin.gif My pup is a Hoover mostly to the point of hiccups at timesfrown.gif. Though sometimes she will have a sniff eat a bit walk off and then come back! She is a food reward girl already... She now does what she has learnt without asking and then sits there looking at you as if to say did you see that I'm awesome how good am I where's my treatsmile.gif

I'll add a story! Tonight I was doing clicker training with my dog. He alread knows how to 'hold' a plastic container and bring it to me, and I am trying to teach him how to do it with this toys. So I get out a rope toy, and click whenever his mouth touches it. Well, he's not really into it. "Ok I'll touch the toy. Oh don't make me do it again...I'll go to my bed, will you give me a treat? No? How about if I sit? No? Alright I'll touch the rope toy. Alright I'll even lift it again. What? You want me to do it AGAIN? No how about if I go to my bed? Lie down?" And this goes on for the next 10 mins. I stop the session after he lifts the toy for the last time and go lie down on my seat. My dog goes out for a sip of water, comes back, looks at the rope toy, and brings it all the way to me! "Can we play now??" And I've put away the darn clicker so I can't click it!

I can so relate, my boy has no play behavior so I'm trying to teach him to retrieve using clicker. I have a bunch of squeaky toys but he would rather use his paw than his mouth to make them squeak. Today whilst doing his shuttles between hoops he grabs a tea towel buttoned onto the cupboard and starts shaking and tugging. So happy I clicked and treated, Unfortunately he was also standing in his hoop so I don't think he "got it". Didn't offer it again...,