Weightpull

:laugh: The I've thought the same with the shopping cart. Haven't bought one yet as I can't find any retail that hold enough weight for decent practice.

I have no idea why we don't get bull breeds out there. We even have a trophy given out by the amstaff club of sa, for some sort of achievement in the sport.

Maybe bull breed people just don't know about it?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh: The I've thought the same with the shopping cart. Haven't bought one yet as I can't find any retail that hold enough weight for decent practice.

The one I got has a capacity of 300-ish kg's. That'll last us a while me thinks as we haven't really gotten that far at all... :D

Thanks Esky for starting this thread, I had been wondering where I could find out some more about weightpull.

AMCNSW has just announced a weightpull event, Saturday 4th of May at Castle Hill showground, great for me, I can walk there!

Weigh in 7am, comp starts 8:30am

Go for it :) Are you taking your guys along to try it out

An thanks I'll add that information to the first post :D

SA folk our first competition is this Sunday. There are no weigh in facilities at the grounds so to compete you MUST bring in a weight certificate. I get them done free at the vet :)

So annoying Esky is right on the edge between two classes depending on the day she's weighing between 24.9 , 25 and 25.1 kg :o d 'oh

I will definitely go, they have said they will have some spare harnesses to suit mally's so I might have a go if one fits my husky boy.

I don't know though cos my girl is the one I think would be better at it, she is stronger and has a lot more drive and determination but she is only 14 months so she won't be able to participate.

I think my boy would just stand there smiling wagging his tail having no idea what to do :laugh: are you allowed to wave a carrot in front of them to get them to move? On second thoughts he will prob just sit there woo wooing at me until the carrot is brought to him anyway.

How did you start with Esky?

We only started last year going along to support club events. We didnt really compete seriously last year, but still managed a 3rd in her weight division :) I've done a little more training this year, but we still don't have a proper harness, so it's just been training the command 'pull it' to get her working for me.

She used to play up when she would get frustrated, do zoomies and jump onto the cart. Hopefully she's got more brain about her this year. We already managed to beat her pb at our intro day. :)

Not sure how they'll run it in NSW but here novices can have a go before competition starts. it seems like elsewhere its actually run as an event.

In competition like other dog sports you can't take anything rewarding into the ring. no food, toy extra handlers. You stand behind the line and can use any othermethod to call ypur dog up to you, commands, silly voices, walking off .

You mean pre entry - there's no need for that.

Entry forms and money is taken on the day, if you do make it just make sure you get there a little earlier to fill everything out.

Plus you can give your dog a go on the cart, if they've never seen it before :)

I'll find and post up the flyer if I can

Here's our generic entry form, we don't seem to have specific ones for the event, since they're all same time same place.

If you want to save yourself time, you can print this out and pre-fill it

58871_10151097637392325_307362649_n.jpg

Edited by Esky the husky

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Castle Hill for a looksee today - there were Huskies, mallys, lots of staffy type guys, a couple of rottweilers and a samoyed (apologies to any I've missed)

Seemed like lots of fun. Next time I might take a dog!

• 2 weeks later...

Our 14.2kg bitch pulled 225kg, but she couldn't get it started so was eliminated - if the dog "fails" the attendants get the trolley rolling and will push it a little to make the dog believe it's achieved - for her once the trolley was moving she kept it going no problem at all.

Dallas was always just speciality show fit for this, we didn't do any special training - walking, flirt pole & ball chasing was his lot :D

So if you need an attendant to get the trolley rolling is it a disqualification?

Yes, as the dog isn't actually starting the pull which is the hardest bit.

But it give you a chance to enforce and reward the pulling behaviour rather than just removing a dog when it has 'failed'.

Speaking of failing that was us on the weekend.

We didn't even qualify as she didn't pull :o

Here she is after the cart got started

401772_10151212421207325_416983564_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The next NSW weightpull event is being held on the Queen's Birthday long weekend, Monday 10th June at Castle Hill Showground, run by the Alaskan Malamute Club NSW (AMCNSW)

post-47335-0-10263900-1370300270_thumb.jpg

From their FB page

The Queens Birthday Weight Pull event is shaping up to be a massive day!

* Raffling off Groomers Paradise products

* BlackHawk prizes for 1st place in every class

* Arctic Breed Rescue stall with lots of goodies

* Official photographer to capture that special moment

* Yummy BBQ & refreshments available

We note that if you have a large dog that doesnt respond well on our scales, please take them to a vet to be weighed in 48 hrs prior to the event & have a signed cert stating their weight. We are working on getting new scales.

Please come down to support the club! It will be a fantastic day

Weigh in 8am for a 9am start, pre-registration is not required.