British Bulldog Breeder

I can drive 40min to a breeders house and see 10+ BB ranging from 8 weeks to 12years of age and none have or have had the issues mentioned in this thread.

In fact they give my Danes a run for their money when we go romping around the farm and swimming in the dam.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can drive 40min to a breeders house and see 10+ BB ranging from 8 weeks to 12years of age and none have or have had the issues mentioned in this thread.

In fact they give my Danes a run for their money when we go romping around the farm and swimming in the dam.

Surely you lie ? It just doesn't happen :laugh:

I have no doubt that there are great breeders out there breeding BBs that are perfectly healthy. But insyrance companies don't charge double premiums for certain breeds for nothing! FYI those insurance quotes were all based on an 8wo puppy with exactly the same info except breed.

Oh for heavens sake. This thread has turned into an absolute farce and pathetic.

Hockz, for goodness sake. your statements are absolutely stupid and quite frankly don't have any place in this thread at all. This is a purebred forum not a crossbred one. How dare you suggest the BB should be crossed with other breeds to correct the problems.

I have no doubt that there are great breeders out there breeding BBs that are perfectly healthy. But insyrance companies don't charge double premiums for certain breeds for nothing! FYI those insurance quotes were all based on an 8wo puppy with exactly the same info except breed.

and Kirty if all you can go on and on about are insurance companies then you are being totally stupid as well. Carry on though. Obviously cant answer my questions.

This thread has turned into a breed bash.

I feel sorry for the person who first posted. Must of been scared away now and there was no need to do that.

Hockz, for goodness sake. your statements are absolutely stupid and quite frankly don't have any place in this thread at all. This is a purebred forum not a crossbred one. How dare you suggest the BB should be crossed with other breeds to correct the problems.

I am not talking about random byb crossbreeding, those kind of breedings will have absolutely zero effect on pedigree dogs and the breed itself. I am talking about Kennel Club approved outcrosses that are already being made. Maybe not here, but overseas. A well thought out crossbreeding every few generations will help expand the very narrow gene pool of pedigree dogs. Even if the breeders of British Bulldogs decided to only ever use the most healthiest, most correct dogs this would eventually lead into trouble. This is why I believe in well thought out cross breedings, they can be a tremendous help in trying to battle genetically inherited problems and genetic variety. Just recently there was a kromfohrlander-poodle cross in Europe, all pups registered as kromfohrlanders (the breed suffers from a limited genetic variety and the breeders wanted to try and preserve the health of the breed). Another example is the German pinscher-schnautzer cross, some 2nd generation crosses managed to get conformation CH titles (the litter was registered as pinschers).

I think this should be practiced more often as most breeds would benefit from it.

Although this post is completely off topic I felt the need to explain my "cross breed advocating" as I am in no way encouraging random back yard bred cross breeding. They benefit no one.

Surely you lie ? It just doesn't happen :laugh:

Must have happened twice :laugh:

Even when I was the steward at the Bulldog Champ show 150+ BB, I did not see one dog with a breeding problem..

I didn't mean for this to turn into a...well....a typical DOL thread. :laugh:

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions here or through PM. I'll be seeing my family this weekend and will pass on the info of the breeders that have been recommended.

I shall return (hopefully) with proud new auntie puppy pics

I think this should be practiced more often as most breeds would benefit from it.

Really? How have poodles benefitted from being outcrossed? For a start they lose the one thing that attracts many to the breed - their non-shedding coat.

What benefit would you get from outcrossing Whippets? What issue would you be "fixing"?

You're buying the hybrid vigour argument hook line and sinker but you're losing sight of what outcrossing brings - unpredictability.

SNI:

I love a dreamer :rofl: Tell your family to heed the warning about crooks in the BB breed - they are legion. :(

Edited by Haredown Whippets

SNI:

I love a dreamer :rofl: Tell your family to heed the warning about crooks in the BB breed - they are legion. :(

what can I say, I'm an optimist!

Well warned about the crooks. Their buying budget, including travel but not including crate/toys/food/collar/rego/etc, is about $6000+, so I encouraged them to look beyond Victoria. There are quite a few breeders, but the worthwhile ones are spread thinly. Like any breeders from any breed, I suppose.

Although I'm going to insist on coming with them, no matter where they go. For research purposes, of course.

Puppy cuddling research. :o

Really? How have poodles benefitted from being outcrossed? For a start they lose the one thing that attracts many to the breed - their non-shedding coat.

What benefit would you get from outcrossing Whippets? What issue would you be "fixing"?

You're buying the hybrid vigour argument hook line and sinker but you're losing sight of what outcrossing brings - unpredictability.

They did it for the kromfohrlanders for the reasons I already stated. Are you saying whippets have an endless gene pool? It's not always about "fixing issues" but about keeping the vitality of the breed.

Also, I said most. Not all.

Edited by Hockz

I am not talking about random byb crossbreeding, those kind of breedings will have absolutely zero effect on pedigree dogs and the breed itself. I am talking about Kennel Club approved outcrosses that are already being made. Maybe not here, but overseas. A well thought out crossbreeding every few generations will help expand the very narrow gene pool of pedigree dogs. Even if the breeders of British Bulldogs decided to only ever use the most healthiest, most correct dogs this would eventually lead into trouble. This is why I believe in well thought out cross breedings, they can be a tremendous help in trying to battle genetically inherited problems and genetic variety. Just recently there was a kromfohrlander-poodle cross in Europe, all pups registered as kromfohrlanders (the breed suffers from a limited genetic variety and the breeders wanted to try and preserve the health of the breed). Another example is the German pinscher-schnautzer cross, some 2nd generation crosses managed to get conformation CH titles (the litter was registered as pinschers).

Although this post is completely off topic I felt the need to explain my "cross breed advocating" as I am in no way encouraging random back yard bred cross breeding. They benefit no one.

Now I have seriously heard it all.

Go preach your outcrosses (with what little knowledge you have about the British Bulldog) to some other forum cause with me anyway, you have seriously crossed "the line"

eta and the sad thing is, the Bulldog breed is already struggling with unethical breeders using crossbred coloured dogs, and producing some of the most unhealthiest, unsound dogs there are. Your idea is ridiculous.

Edited by Bullbreedlover

They did it for the kromfohrlanders for the reasons I already stated. Are you saying whippets have an endless gene pool? It's not always about "fixing issues" but about keeping the vitality of the breed.

Also, I said most. Not all.

Of course Whippets don't have an endless gene pool. The moment you close the stud book on any breed, that's an impossiblity. But how about some evidence that the breed "lacks vitality". Short answer, is that it doesn't. It's not a rare breed, its possible to keep the COI at a suitable level within the breed. It has a couple of emerging health issues but frankly, that may be as much to do with advances in veterinary medicine as that they are "new".

But your statement that "most breeds would benefit from it" [outcrossing] seems based on the premise that "most breeds" have serious health issues. And that simply isn't borne out by the facts.

So if Poodles ain't broke and Whippets ain't broke then why on earth do they need your version of "fixing". Short answer, they don't and this kind of myth needs stamping on.

What breeds would you add to one with a lot of prey drive to "fix" it. The mind boggles.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• 2 weeks later...

I think frenchies come with about the same price tag. I would definitely say buy from a registered breeder with a good reputation only. They are a phenomenally strong dog and don't be fooled by their looks, they are smart. I reckon mine takes 5 minutes to learn but takes 5 weeks to weigh up the consequences of changing his behavior. Big warning though, once you've had one you'll want another. They have their own special magic.

I agree ... My bully is exactly the same! Stubborn little miss she is ????

post-49399-0-58093300-1368502740_thumb.jpg

She's gorgeous, love her colouring. Would you believe this is my third and I've never even seen a real life baby. I think I will have to be one if those evil people that fakes buying a puppy just to get some free cuddles????

Edited by hankdog