Back To Obedience

Zig goes back to obedience next Sunday and I am really looking forward to it. We go up to intermediate, which is exciting as when we first started (as most know), I wasn't even sure he would be able to do it..

I bought us a K9 Pro training bag and it is awesome.

What do you all keep in your training bags?

I have a couple of enjo dry towels (those ones that really absorb moisture) because he is always in the buckets, puddles or clam shells.

His long line leash.

Extra collar and lead (I have always kept these in the car in case I see a stray that needs collecting.

Water bottle and bowl.

Some dried treats (but I usually prefer to use wet treats like devon - which seems to be his preferred treat to work for) like liver.

Do you carry a first aid kit with you?

If so, what is the basic first aid stuff you carry?

Oh and the small digital camera..

Congrats!

I take: a tie-out stake, a 10m lead, spare poo bags, water + bowl for dogs, water for humans, sunscreen, chapstick, tug toy, and a ball or two. I keep treats, clicker, money, phone, and more poo bags in my treat pouch. Gets us through most training and trials :)

Thanks - I pretty much have that in there now, except for the tie out stake - our grounds have star tall star pickets hammered into the ground all over the place. But it might be a good idea to get one, just in case we go somewhere else and he needs to be tied out.

I am really looking forward to going back and I know he will go nuts when he sees his buddies..

Have fun!

I have different bags for different activities....my agility/obedience bag has...

• collapsible bowls
  • dry treats (back up plan if I leave my stuff at home)
  • small absorbent towel/cleaning cloth for dogs
  • tug toys
  • dumbbell
  • Zig's agility trialling leash
  • poo bags
  • hand wipes
  • aerogard
  • club membership/instructor badges

Water, larger towels, treat bum bags (with clicker, poo bags, treats), tie out stakes, mallet, whistles, collapsible bucket for cool coats and other training gear are in the car. Retrieving bag is a camp stool backpack and has water as I'm more likely to venture further from the car.

Not that we need aerogard at the moment but that is a good idea for summer/spring time, thanks.

Paper towel as well - I always carry that because he gets car sick after about 15-20 minutes in the car.

I have tried breaking trips up into 15 minute lots but it makes no difference, he still pukes and it has to be cleaned up.

Another question - what does everyone do with their certificates and ribbons?

Zig got such a nice certificate and ribbon when he passed the last class and I don't know what to do with it - it has been sitting on the kitchen bench, the hall table and now it is on the dining table :o

Hi,

congratulations on your pass-up. Try some ginger biscuits for the car-sickness. I have a shed where I store all my dog gear. I have the ribbons up around the wall in there with photos of the dogs that won them. The certificates are in a filing cabinet inside the house.

Barbara B

Great question. I totally agree with everything that the others have said.

Plus a few more for thought

- insect repellant

- alcohol hand sanitiser

- safety pins

- pens

- I also carry a copy of the rules for the dog sports I compete in.

I have a file at home to store all certificates, registration papers etc. They 'non titling' ones are great to keep and look back on, and you will need to keep the official competitions ones to apply for titles.

ENJOY!

Thanks all,

We are back to training tomorrow morning and our bag is all set up now.

We have kept up the commands and I have been trying to introduce the drop on recall - where he comes running back and drops in front of me.

Bugger did it perfectly the first few times and now keeps running past me.

I wanted him to do it as I was so impressed with the gorgeous GSD who did an advanced obedience demonstration on our assessment day..

Zig had a play date today with a little poodle and they had so much fun. I tried his recall while he was playing and it was fine.

Thanks for the idea about the ginger biscuits. I tried them and he bought them back up about 10 minutes into our trip. Maybe it is because he has never had anything like this before?? He is raw fed except for a very small amount of kibble he gets in his kong if I have to go out for a long day at work.

He also gets a bit of devon and cheese as training treats but he is mostly trained with a tennis ball (as he doesn't have much interest in food at all)..

I might call the holistic vet and see what she suggests.

The K9Pro training bags are awesome. When I first saw the size I thought it may be too small then I started putting all my gear into it and when I finished I couldn't pick it up. It holds heaps of equipment. :thumbsup:

I love the snap clips I hook my car keys to so I don't lose them.

As well as all my usual training gear I can also fit my dri-as-a-bone jacket in one end.

You name it, it is in my training bag.

The only problem is if I ever loose my bag I will also loose "all" my training gear.

I was amazed at how much room is in the bag - I have everything in there and I could easily fit much more.. So many pockets to put things in..

We are just getting ready to leave.. Here is hoping all the stuff we have been doing over our 4 week break is enough to keep him on track when we get back today.