Weeing At Back Door!

Vizsla13

Hi our pup is 12 wks now and potty training is going ok only the very occasional accident in the house. When we take her out to garden to go toilet we always go into the grass and most of the time she'll come with us and go there but when she's out playing she'll just go wherever patio etc which we felt is fine cause its still outside and I'm happy that she'll go on different surfaces and its easy enough to hose. The problem now is she very often wees right at the patio doors and it absolutely stinks of wee there now.

My question is how do we deter her from going right at the patio door!! And what's the best thing to clean it with cause water doesn't get rid of the smell!

I used to spray wee patches with pine-a-clean to remove the smell. Puppies and even older dogs will often wee (or poo for that matter) where they can smell previous toileting has happened.. This then becomes their toilet spot....

Maybe try carry the puppy to the lawn for a few days to be sure she will remember this as the "new" toilet spot and make sure to clean the old one well so that the scent does not prompt her to go there again and again

I clean all toileting accidents with vinegar. Maybe try putting a water bowl next to the back door, most puppies don't like to toilet next to their food & water bowls. If it's under cover even put a bed there for her

It's been ages since I've had a puppy (4 weeks to go...and counting till we get our new one).

Generally what I've done in the past is suspend life while house training is in progress. I'm a big crate training fan, so that when I'm busy doing stuff like...cooking dinner...I can have a crated puppy still being a part of family life, just not able to quietly nick off to pee where I don't want them to. When dinner is all sorted...out we go...piddle time, then play time with copious amounts of piddle time.

I always go out with the puppy. I take a book, I'm not patient and I get bored easily. :o It also stops me from pestering the puppy or distracting it from the purpose at hand...toilet time. When the jobs done then it's inside for more puppy time or crate time (someone has to do that dratted dishes). When that's all done, it's out for a pee and a play depending on the time.

In the mornings I tend to put dogs out giving them a chance to go if they need to. I don't assume they have gone. If I haven't seen it...then it didn't happen. (toilet wise). So if I've booted puppies out for piddles, I won't let them have a run in the house until we have BOTH gone out together and I've witnessed the event. Again...I take amusement with me.

When we go out for toilet time, I take the puppy in the general area I want them to go and stand there..waiting. So in winter, it will be a book and an umbrella :laugh: .

That said, "Princess" Dory refuses to go out when it's raining, we've been known to carry her out (she's FIVE). And while she will wee in the yard, she poops under the veranda...under the washing line...very convenient... :banghead: .

I clean all toileting accidents with vinegar. Maybe try putting a water bowl next to the back door, most puppies don't like to toilet next to their food & water bowls. If it's under cover even put a bed there for her

I'd use vinegar or biozet. And I like this idea of water bowls and bed!!

Do you have a rubber mat outside the door by any chance? My dog sometimes does this (pees just outside the door) especially if it's cold or raining, he'll only go far enough out his doggie door to get his willie out and niagra falls! We have one of those rubber mats outside the door and he piddles on this. I don't know if it's anything to do with the mat or not? I have now dragged the rubber mat onto the garden where I would prefer him to pee. I find since doing this he hasn't peed outside the door but when some well meaning visitor placed the mat back in position outside the door he again peed on it. I also go outside with him and indicate to him where I would like him to pee. He gives me the OH MOTHER look when I make him go out in the cold. I'm so mean.