How Often Do You Mate Your Stud Dogs?

OSoSwift

Yes it was my understanding that the bitch only releases eggs once so you won't have puppies that are 5 days younger then their litter mates. That is part of the reason I let them decide.

I figure dogs have been doing it for many many years and it is the dog and bitch I have at home so I don't need to be worried about using an outside dog at this stage. Down the track maybe but if I do then she will be in the city which will make any required testing much easier, cheaper and results would be recieved quickly.

Now I wait and see :)

You need to find a vet or vet nurse that can do vaginal cytology......its sooooo easy!

The only thing I was worried about having matings over 7 days was am I liking to have a mixed litter of sizes...ie are some going to be "undercooked"?

Not worth worrying about - male sperm can remain viable inside the bitch for up to 8 days so with this in mind theoretically its possible for sperm from just one mating to fertilise the eggs on any of the fertile days anyway - assuming you are mating at the right time the potential to have puppies a bit under cooked is the same as if it were just one mating and the bitch only ovulates once so there is only a couple of days anyway when she is likely to fall pregnant . So in any litter you may see one which could have done with a day or two more. All part of the reason why bitches have such a high chance of falling pregnant - because the male sperm hangs around waiting for the right time if the mating is done before she is fertile. It also true that matings done at the end of a bitches cycle will be far less chance of success of a pregnancy for the above reasons.