How Often Do You Mate Your Stud Dogs?

OSoSwift

Do you mate them once daily, every second day? while a bitch is standing.

Do you mate them once only, twice only?

Do they run with the bitch so mate as often as they please? Is this generally multiple times a day or do they settle into once or twice daily.

If you do once or twice only matings is this done because they are prog tested? Or do you do it that way regardless.

Do you feel that any particular way of doing things impacts their sperm negatively or do you think that you should only mate them X amounts of time so as not to make their sperm count potentially drop??

Anything else you would like to add please feel free.

Just something I have been thinking about and seems the people I have aksed all have different ideas so I would like to hear yours, please :)

Edited by OSoSwift

Interesting question this. I have a young dog here that could be thought of

as our stud dog. He has been bred with 3 bitches and sired 3 litters of 8, 10

and 10. He managed all by himself with all 3 girls and the first and last

were *paddock served*. The second girl was kept on lead but no one helped the

dog. The first and second girls had 1 tie and the third had 2 ties (cos I felt

sorry for them).

No prog testing was done and they were seperated (the third girl as they live here together) for ease of managment only.

The first bitch was not ready so he *lived* with her for 3 days. Day 3 we were going home and as luck would have it she allowed him to join her while she was being put back in the kennels as we had to go home. It is possible that they had a joining over night but I don't think so some how.

Depends on if the female is willing here. No progesterone testing.

Showing signs of eagerness & flagging around day 10 to 14 they are put together & usually mate. Then again 1 or 2 days later if the female is willing. Sometimes they are, sometimes once is all they tolerate. I never allow them to run together all the time.

The girls would get fed up & snappy with the boy at them all the time

I wouldn't imagine sperm count would drop as the female won't allow constant mating & the male would be too exhausted. Guess that is a question for the vet though.

I let the dogs decide. As soon as the bitch is standing I let them have a supervised play together each day. I am happy for them to mate each day they are both willing but it really depends on the dogs. My older boy has always only been interested when they are bang on, normally only one mating where as my blue line would mate them from day one if allowed to pester the bitch. I don't prog test and have good sized litters

The dogs decide here too.

I keep the separate and give them a test a couple of times a day to see when the bitch is ready. I will sometimes let them run together and mate as often as they like for however long the bitch wants to. Usually I let them out each morning and just watch them get on with it. If I have a male that is not happy with once a day I'll let them mate again in the afternoon if they feel like it.

I don't believe in the day 11-13 one mating rule fits all bitches.

I've not had bitches ever miss when left to their own devices

ETA: Prog testing is a waste of time and money if you have a decent stud to use and a good bitch line.

Edited by WreckitWhippet

• 2 weeks later...

I progesterone when I live mate, simply because I can't be bothered wasting time. If the male isn't up to the task, I do a fresh collect AI. All over in five minutes. Much easier and faster.

If he's able, and I know she's ready (and not just being a sleeze, as some of my girls will flag and stand at day 5, but are no where near ready and frustrate the boys) I let them mate in the morning and again at night if they choose. I will do that for two days in a row, MAYBE three but usually two days is sufficient, even with one mating per day. Because I've progesterone tested, I know when she's ready and don't worry about if the boy is randy or the girl is slutty. I use science, it works and I don't waste energy for either myself of the dogs.

The dogs decide here too.

I keep the separate and give them a test a couple of times a day to see when the bitch is ready. I will sometimes let them run together and mate as often as they like for however long the bitch wants to. Usually I let them out each morning and just watch them get on with it. If I have a male that is not happy with once a day I'll let them mate again in the afternoon if they feel like it.

I don't believe in the day 11-13 one mating rule fits all bitches.

I've not had bitches ever miss when left to their own devices

ETA: Prog testing is a waste of time and money if you have a decent stud to use and a good bitch line.

Same here

My GSP will not mate until the bitch is absolutely ready, the first mating he had was nerve wracking as she was a tart for days before he gave her any interest ;) By the time he does become interested the bitch will usually only tolerate him for about 3 days, although he's keen until they leave. I can not let them run together during this time as he is relentless.

Edited by FHRP

I have a boy here & if I let him he would mate all day every day :laugh: ....he's a pain!!!

I allowed him a mating every day as I also own the bitch, he did that for 7 days.....

After the first couple of days I separated the bitch as she had had enough & he was exhausted!

When I am taking a bitch to another male, I use vaginal cytology & prog testing. I then usually try & get mating over 2 days with a day off in between.

Just recently I mated mine.

I allowed them together each morning. The first two days she stood, was a bit grumbly at it but allowed him to mate then yelled bloody murder when they tied - for a short time - then settled. All their ties were between 20 and 30 minutes.

She ended up standing for 7 days total but there were 4 where she was a absolute tart and her diff got locked into reverse into his chest until he obliged. I was quite suprised they mated over a week, but I wanted to mate them as long as they were both happy to stand, no prog testing etc.

The last day she stood, she allowed him to mate but grumbled and wasn't too happy with the tie again so I didn't put them together after that as I though a week was more than enough anyway! Bloody pigs :)

I was wondering if a bitch allowing mating over 7 days happens only if they were just a bit odd. The only bit that is a little annoying about it is the fact the birthing can happen over a much longer time but this time I wanted to cover as much of the potential conception time as possible. Not only that but prog tests are expensive down here and it takes until the next arvo to get results, so I chose nature this time. Now the waiting game begins.......

You need to find a vet or vet nurse that can do vaginal cytology......its sooooo easy!

The only thing I was worried about having matings over 7 days was am I liking to have a mixed litter of sizes...ie are some going to be "undercooked"?

You need to find a vet or vet nurse that can do vaginal cytology......its sooooo easy!

The only thing I was worried about having matings over 7 days was am I liking to have a mixed litter of sizes...ie are some going to be "undercooked"?

Not worth worrying about - male sperm can remain viable inside the bitch for up to 8 days so with this in mind theoretically its possible for sperm from just one mating to fertilise the eggs on any of the fertile days anyway - assuming you are mating at the right time the potential to have puppies a bit under cooked is the same as if it were just one mating and the bitch only ovulates once so there is only a couple of days anyway when she is likely to fall pregnant . So in any litter you may see one which could have done with a day or two more. All part of the reason why bitches have such a high chance of falling pregnant - because the male sperm hangs around waiting for the right time if the mating is done before she is fertile. It also true that matings done at the end of a bitches cycle will be far less chance of success of a pregnancy for the above reasons.