Puppy Gets Cough After Being Airfreighted

poodlepark

I would like to know if anyone has had a puppy get a cough after being airfreighted. The only 2 times my puppies have had coughs have been after they were sent to new owners by air. I have sent many by air without this happening . Has anyone else experienced any health issues with puppies in this way.

Were the puppies dropped at the airport (by you) and collected from the receiving airport (by new owners), or were they dropped off at another address and then taken to the airport and/or collected from another address to the airport?

Was the symptoms immediately after the flight or days later?

Edited by wayrod

I would like to know if anyone has had a puppy get a cough after being airfreighted. The only 2 times my puppies have had coughs have been after they were sent to new owners by air. I have sent many by air without this happening . Has anyone else experienced any health issues with puppies in this way.

No never.

How long after being vaccinated where they freighted ?.

Many breeders don't vaccinate for Kennel Cough as they can develop a cough after vaccination.

Were the puppies dropped at the airport (by you) and collected from the receiving airport (by new owners), or were they dropped off at another address and then taken to the airport and/or collected from another address to the airport?

Was the systems immediately after the flight or days later?

Thank you for your reply. I dropped the puppy off at the airport, myself and it was collected by new owners at the other end. The cough was almost immediate being noticed a few hours later, continued all night and the next day. No other symptoms are present.

How long after being vaccinated where they freighted ?.

Many breeders don't vaccinate for Kennel Cough as they can develop a cough after vaccination.

Puppy was vaccinated the day before. I have tried to find any information about a cough reaction to the Kennel Cough Vaccine but could not find anything. This was my first though too.

I dropped the pup off myself and it was collected by new owners. Within hours a cough developed.

I dropped the pup off myself and it was collected by new owners. Within hours a cough developed.

It all depends on what the cough is caused by .Im assuming its not kennel cough but you need a diagnosis to enable you to know if its something the pup has which became more obvious due to the flight, whether it was an allergy to something it was exposed to etc

but simply flying shouldnt give the pup a cough.

Sometime puppies/kittens, can suffer from dry mouth. Once the mouth is lubricated the cough subsides. Can occur in humans also! Only a vet will be able to identify what the cough is about.

Edited by wayrod

It all depends on what the cough is caused by .Im assuming its not kennel cough but you need a diagnosis to enable you to know if its something the pup has which became more obvious due to the flight, whether it was an allergy to something it was exposed to etc

but simply flying shouldnt give the pup a cough.

Thank you, I have thought of allergy to sprays (insect/perfumed) which I do not use ever near the puppies. New owners have not advised me if or not?. I could not imagine that just flying would cause a cough but guess I needed some sort of confirmation. How about the vaccine ? could it cause a cough?

Sometime puppies/kittens, can suffer from dry mouth. Once the mouth is lubricated the cough subsides. Can occur in humans also! Only a vet will be able to identify what the cough is about.

Thank you and I suggested to try honey to soothe, but new owners have not advised me if they tried that or not. A vet will be consulted this week if it does not get better. I just wanted to try to avoid an unnecessary expense if possible, as I will be paying the bill.

I read somewhere that this can happen with flying, it has something to do with dehumidified environment, panting and stress. It's not Kennel cough but a mild form of bronchitis that should pass in a few days, I am just trying to find the reference.