Dry Dog Food?

So I've almost run out of my current dry food, it was something a sibling bought and want to see how those premium brands fair against that one. I have been reading over the forums about the most popular ones but cant seem to decide which one is best..

I have got a Siberian Husky that is almost 3, we fed him on BH for a while but I've read that their quality has been dropping lately so have decided against that. I'm looking for a slightly larger kibble as I have had problems in the past with birds eating the dry food and my dog has no incentive to go after them. So I think getting larger kibble would be better. But if not then I'll do more research.

Husky only eats one meal of dry food in the morning and at night eats about 500g of chicken breast so plenty of protein (hopefully not too much!).

I live in Melbourne so the brands that are probably the best to get in terms of distance is either Artemis (fresh mix adult) or Canidae (grain free pure elements, are there any bad notes i should know of those brands?

I have heard about the VIP Natures goodness from woolworths which is also cheap(something I'm trying to factor in), the recent thread had people raving about it but the older thread had people saying how it's bad that it contains many fillers and doesn't specify what type of meat meal is in it. But if people are still saying yes to it, I could try that for now?

So out of those (Artemis, Canidae, VIP, OR RoyalCanin) are there any others (or those) that best fit my criteria in terms of price, health and size?

Thank you for your help. :)

Depends, it really comes down to what your dog will eat and what he does well on.

I feed my siberian husky Earthborn Holistic grainfree, around 80g and around 300g of meat per night.

She is a racing sled dog and that is more than enough food that she's actually gained some weight, whilst in race training :)

Depends, it really comes down to what your dog will eat and what he does well on.

I feed my siberian husky Earthborn Holistic grainfree, around 80g and around 300g of meat per night.

She is a racing sled dog and that is more than enough food that she's actually gained some weight, whilst in race training :)

I'm assuming it is more of a trial and error process when deciding what your dog does best on?

That actually seems like quite a little for a sled dog, but I guess if shes gaining weight then yeah.. Vet set I needed to up my husky's intake by just a small amount. Although mine is no racing sled dog :)

Would you say when trying out new brands of dog food that you would buy the lowest portion possible and take notes over the weeks how it goes with the dog? If that's the case then for now I'll probably buy a 1.8kg Artemis to try out.

I used to feed my Border Collie Advance for a no. of years. I used to get the adult chicken & rice variety & a couple of times by mistake I got the large breed packet. If you're after a large sized kibble that would be it. They are huuuuge.

Great Dane Rescue NSW have just trailed with some owners a new Australian grain-free kibble, with a larger kibble size, you may be interested in learning more about it: http://www.stayloyal.com.au/

It is $97 per bah (15 kilos) if you set up a re-order program with them.

I don't get anything to promote them, just sharing experiences.

post-4036-0-74698600-1369184073_thumb.jpg

Edited by sas

The starting price of $137 for 15KG is an overkill price, in my opinion. Agree, it may save more in the long run if you keep re-ordering.

I would try either Candidae or Artemis. Not sure if you're pedantic about grain, otherwise the grain stuff are also good. My dog has tried both grain and no-grain from both brands. Currently there are

Some selected grtain-free on sale and with free shipping to Mel.

http://www.robbospetbarn.com.au/products/c-362/DOGS/FOOD/SUPER-PREMIUM/CANIDAE/GRAIN-FREE.aspx

Grained - All life stages on sale (My dog default food)

http://www.robbospetbarn.com.au/products/c-153/DOGS/FOOD/SUPER-PREMIUM/CANIDAE/CANIDAE-DRY.aspx

Otherwise stick to BH (on sale here)

http://dogfood.com.au/dog-food/black-hawk-c-21_152.html

Black Hawk is what I currently used, But slowly feeding Earth born Holistic Coastal Catch, prefer the ingredients in this one, and going to try the grain free approach. Another good grain free is Taste Of the Wild.