Renaming A Dog

Tazar

Yep, it's easy- Morgan became Honey in our house!

(Not much of an improvement but by far beat the kids' other suggestions :laugh: )

She was 2 & as soon as she came home we only called her by her new name. Lots of praise when they respond & it will take no time. :)

I agree with others call her whatever you like, Stan was named Flash when I got him and Maddie was Skye. As they are rescue greyhounds they were just names given to them by the rescue group so their current names are probably their third. Stan's not the brightest star in the sky so if he can learn a new name any dog can :laugh:

Edited by stans mum

call her whatever you like, give her lots of rewards when using her new name and in no time she will forget what her last one was :)

Yes, I've been amazed how quickly our dogs have adapted to a new name. And the name doesn't have to be like the old one. Just call the dog by the new name from the start.... & reward with attention, treats, pats & cuddles for responding.

Dogs adjust so well that all of ours respond to their nicknames, too.... which are nothing like their regular names.

When we had 2 Shelties & 2 Tibbies.... they'd even answer to their 'breed' names. Call 'Shelties' & the shelties would come. 'Tibbies', & they would come.

Our present Tibbie, Annie, has a party trick where she comes tail wagging if someone says 'I love you!'. But then she also answers to Abbaface (she came from Sweden). :)

Edited by mita

Call her FoxyBella, and you can change the name slowly to Bella, or Roxanne and she can become Roxy or Annie.

Ny dog (registered name - Lottie Matilda) responds to Lottie, Bubs, Cutie Pie, Sweetheart, Miss Matilda, Bubba girl etc.