Parvo Strains And Titre Testing

I spoke to my vet today about titre testing my gang.

She said the main problem is that the parvo titre does not differentiate between PV1 and PV2 and that PV2 is the strain causing all the current outbreaks :(

She told me that if they were last vaccinated 2 or 3 years ago they probably didn't get the PV2 vaccine as it is quite recent. I was following the new vaccine protocols so am having to rethink it now.

Has anyone heard of this?

To my knowledge, CPV2 was first discovered about 30 years ago so I have no idea why your vet is saying it is new?

There are 3 strains of CPV2, a, b and c. C is the latest to spread world wide I think and that was some years ago too (at least 5 years ago). I believe the vaccines have covered all strains since c was first discovered in Australia.

Hopefully someone with loads of knowledge can help clarify a little more. If no-one does, message Rappie as she is a vet.

Edited by ~Anne~

To my knowledge, CPV2 was first discovered about 30 years ago so I have no idea why your vet is saying it is new?

There are 3 strains of CPV2, a, b and c. C is the latest to spread world wide I think and that was some years ago too (at least 5 years ago). I believe the vaccines have covered all strains since c was first discovered in Australia.

Hopefully someone with loads of knowledge can help clarify a little more. If no-one does, message Rappie as she is a vet.

Thank you - I did say to her that I'd check with my breeder vet first, so hopefully will find out what is going on. I just hope there isn't yet another strain out there!