Aaargh Fleas!

There are fleas in my house :cry: I think it's rather impressive since both the cats and dogs are regularly treated and none of them have fleas but my couch seems to :( The cat got some a while back after she snuck out and lay on the lawn where the roos chill out and I guess she brought some home as souveniers...

So what's the best way to get rid of them? I kept getting these little bites all over my legs and couldn't work out why and now I've realised it's from sitting on the couch :eek: I'm going away for four days next week so i had thought I might take the couch cushions out in the garage and spray them with flea bomb and let them air while we aren't here and spray the couch in situ but I guess I probably need to do the carpet as well. I can't just do the 'set and forget' flea bomb because I have fish tanks, etc so I don't want the whole house filling with spray.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

If you can close off the room and it doesn't contain the tanks you could go the flea bomb option, it would probably be more ideal to do when your not away so you can air it out sooner. If it's still an issue to use a bomb, possibly try a flea powder that you can use on the couch and in the carpet before giving them a good vacuum off.

My dermatologist vet recommended we use a spray that targets fleas AND their eggs. You can get some from any supermarket (baygon is one of the brands from memory. It also targets cockroaches etc); you have to ensure you spray pretty much everywhere, especially the hard-to-access areas: under beds, furniture, skirting boards etc...

She also said to pay particular attention to entry points to the house (window sills, doorways etc) if stray animals tend to hang around these areas.

I would make sure all your pets are on a good monthly treatment (either spot-on or tablets - I found comfortis works best for us), and maybe have them all on capstar for a few days too.

I bought the Mortien one that does the eggs as well(incidentally the Baygon one doesn't break the cycle only does adult fleas, doesn't have the second ingredient), so everything will be getting sprayed today. Luckily most of our house is tiled except for the bedrooms(and the animals don't go there) so there aren't too many hidey places. The cat and dogs get done regularly with Advantage/advantix so they are good. If I have left over I'm going tos pray a bit around on the lawn out the front as I'd almost guarantee that's where they came from as thats where all the roos chill out.

We've used mortein flea killer it's good. :)

If you were going to spray anywhere else, under the furniture and all your skirting boards - the join where the floor meets the wood - is where eggs will be, waiting for vibration or humidity to hatch.

Don't allow the cat to come into contact with permethrin when it is wet or damp. Cats cannot metabolise permethrin. I would suggest you use coopex. You purchase in a sachet and make up a spray bottle . Or alternatively a product called slam. It treats all stages of fleas and is safe to use indoors too, as is coopex . Both these have a 3 month residual effect too.

Don't allow the cat to come into contact with permethrin when it is wet or damp. Cats cannot metabolise permethrin. I would suggest you use coopex. You purchase in a sachet and make up a spray bottle . Or alternatively a product called slam. It treats all stages of fleas and is safe to use indoors too, as is coopex . Both these have a 3 month residual effect too.