I M H A And Diet - Raw?

My little Louis was diagnosed with Immune-mediated hemolytic anemia on monday - it was a very scary day for us :( He is responding well to treatment and is now eating well and is so much brighter.

My question relates to diet - he has been fed raw for years, but my vet said it would be sensible to take him off raw food for the moment. I'm happy to buy him some good quality meat and offal and cook a batch up for him, but as he can't have bones either what should I add to make sure he gets his calcium and full range of vits and minerals etc?

I looked at the VANs complete mix, but that would mean adding grain back into his diet. I see they do a health booster supplement, but that doesn't have the calcium component.

Help - I've got so many questions flying round my head now after this horrible diagnosis and would appreciate some sensible advice. Do I really even need to stop feeding raw - is it just a knee jerk reaction from my vet?

Not feeding raw may be to lower the potential bacterial levels in his diet while his immune system is compromised.

There are grain free kibbles around, perhaps one of those and some cooked protein sources might be an idea.

Yes that was the reason given HW and I can see why they think it is sensible. I'm loath to go down the kibble route as haven't fed it to my dogs for years, I'd rather find something I can add to home cooked fresh meat, but thanks for the suggestion :)

What about adding one of the supplements from k9Pro to a home cooked stew?

Maybe there is something suitable here?

I made stew for Darcy after his bouts of HGA. Personally, if it's not long term, I'd not worry too much about supplementing.

What about adding one of the supplements from k9Pro to a home cooked stew?

Maybe there is something suitable here?

Thanks trifecta, I'll have a look at those :)

......I see they do a health booster supplement, but that doesn't have the calcium component.

I found a shop that had some of this in stock and it actually has a good calcium level due to the dolomite. http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=eny_fly_default.tpl&product_id=30&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=124

So I'm cooking him up a mix of meats and I'll add some of this supplement to it as a starting point. I been feeding him Natures Gift tinned for the last few days but wanted to get him back onto something more 'meaty'.

The worse thing at the moment is his excessive thirst and level of urination due to the Pred dosage he is on - 40mg day, but this will hopefully be reduced soon, depending on the blood test results next Weds.