Puppy Growth Raw Vs Commercial

Just after people's experiences in general. But if you have experiences with comparing litter mates fed raw vs commercial that would be awesome.

Years ago I raised a raw food puppy he came back with one of the better hip scores in the litter. (2nd to commercially fed sister).

I vaguely remember him being less rolypoly than litter mates, more muscular, bit scrawny overall. Grew a lot slower. He did grow to his potential, just didn't get there quite as quickly. And I remember all the razzing I received. It was hard to keep to raw with the pressure and opinions, but we did it.

It was a pleasing moment when one of his biggest detractors didn't realize who he was when he had finally reached maturity.

Just after people's experiences in general. But if you have experiences with comparing litter mates fed raw vs commercial that would be awesome.

Years ago I raised a raw food puppy he came back with one of the better hip scores in the litter. (2nd to commercially fed sister).

I vaguely remember him being less rolypoly than litter mates, more muscular, bit scrawny overall. Grew a lot slower. He did grow to his potential, just didn't get there quite as quickly. And I remember all the razzing I received. It was hard to keep to raw with the pressure and opinions, but we did it.

It was a pleasing moment when one of his biggest detractors didn't realize who he was when he had finally reached maturity.

Each of the puppies I brought into the family have been transitioned over to raw, regardless what they were fed b the breeder. As you have noted, raw fed puppies do grow at a slower pace, but at the same time, they grow more evenly and yes, I have noticed that they are much slimmer than their commercially fed siblings. And the best thing of all, they relish their breakfast and dinner. The output is less copious and less smelly too. Personally, I would never go back to commercial diets ever again since I learnt the raw way of feeding, but that's up to the individual owners.

Thanks Twodoggies. :thumbsup:

I feel relieved. It's very hard to look at commercially fed littermates growing like weeds in front of your eyes and then look at your own little muscle puppy who still looks like a pimple in comparison.

That said, she's certainly not floppy or flabby and LOADS of energy to burn. And it has been commented already that she doesn't smell 'doggie'. :D