Itchy Dogs (again)

I think I know what it is but wanted others opinions as well.

Zig has been fed BARF or raw meaty bones and a bit of kibble since he came here. He started on Nutro, then went to RC and finally ended up on Eukanuba for large breeds.

The new foster arrived with a large bag of Supercoat for puppies and I have been mixing hers with the Eukanuba to wean her onto it (so I am only buying one food) and because her poos are huge and she farts like a demon (they really smell). In a week she is now hardly farting at all. Which makes for a much nicer home.

Zig and her swap food bowls and then swap back a few times during their night meal (the only time they get kibble with some meat).

For the last few days, Zig is scratching quite a bit. I think it is because he is getting into the supercoat - it is the only thing that is different.

He hasn't been anywhere different or had any other different food.

He was that bad last night I gave him an antihistamine. He isn't red anywhere, just scratching heaps.

So today at the pet food shop, I noticed a grain free product called Earthborn Holistic - Primitive Natural. So I bought some and gave them both a taste of it when I got home - they love it. Being grain free, it has to be OK right?

I still have a bit of Eukanuba and will mix it in over the next week with the Earthborn (I think she has had enough of the Eukanuba to remove the supercoat completely and not upset her tummy).

Anyone else use this?

Anyone had any issues with it?

I did a search for it but mostly it is a few people saying they use it - no further information.

Our dogs eat Earthborn Holistic but the grain free fish variety,I think it is called Coastal Catch; it is one of the very few kibbles our itchy boy can eat and he is thriving on it. I have never had any problems with it and have noticed much less and firmer poo. We did have to cut down on the amount we were feeding though as they got a bit tubby. We have tried lots of different ones and our two don't go well on raw diets, it's the best thing we have found for him so far.They get some sardines/tuna/mackeral as a bit of a topper sometimes and some other bits and pieces that they can tolerate. Hopefully they won't change the formula I dread having to start searching again.

Have used earthborn a lot with excellent results. Interesting your posting about supercoat because I bought two big bags a few weeks ago and suddenly my old poodle had itchy ears and feet, something she hasn't had in years. I stopped giving it to her a few days ago and she's back to normal.

Have used earthborn a lot with excellent results. Interesting your posting about supercoat because I bought two big bags a few weeks ago and suddenly my old poodle had itchy ears and feet, something she hasn't had in years. I stopped giving it to her a few days ago and she's back to normal.

The pup here seems fine on it (apart from the huge poos and farting) but my boy has itched since he has been into it. I probably should have fed them separately but it is easier when you are busy and don't have dogs that have food issues to just dump it on the floor and get on with dinner.

I have removed it completely from his and she is up to 1/3 supercoat, 1/3 Euk and 1/3 Earthborn. I don't want to upset her tummy too much by changing but I really think this stuff is good.

Zig is getting half and half at the moment until his Euk is gone - then it will just be the Earthborn.

Thanks for the info on Earthborn Holistic Coastal Watch.

We have been working hard with our boy and his allergies.

We have managed to mostly stop him scratching and chewing using mostly vegies and chicken and a bit of Royal Canin low allergy dry food.

I know he is not "cured", but a work in progress.

He is having trouble with recurring ear infections, which is related to the allergies, so I will be giving the Coastal Watch a try.

Thanks

Four of other dogs are also fine on it and I haven't seen them scratching or anything else weird.

My other poodle (foster failure) had major skin allergies, infected ears/feet and rotten teeth when he arrived, he gets no dry food at all but we have managed to stop all his problems by feeding Prime roo and potato (roll) and raw chicken necks, wings and meaty bones.

I don't think the assumption should be made that grainfree will be ok for you allergic dog because it's likely a protein/s that your dog is reacting to.

What works well for one doesn't necc work well for someone else, for example my previous Dane did not have any success with Eqyss products yet my other dog does.

Edited by sas

I don't think the assumption should be made that grainfree will be ok for you allergic dog because it's likely a protein/s that your dog is reacting to.

What works well for one doesn't necc work well for someone else, for example my previous Dane did not have any success with Eqyss products yet my other dog does.

So true sas, Ollie always had issues with chicken until I bought free range for him.

Zig has only ever reacted to paspalum grass at the training ground we attend.. I just put sorbelene cream on him before we go (gives him a bit of a barrier on his tummy, the only place he gets itchy) and that seems to have worked for us.

He started scratching again when he got into the foster dogs supercoat kibble..

It makes her fart and do huge poos, so I thought changing her (slowly) was a good idea.

I have read good things about the Earthborn, so wanted to give it a go.

I think all you can do is try it Staffyluv, goodness knows I tried so many things for the first couple of years, it's such a slow process as too many changes at once i.e. more than one, would have meant we couldn't pinpoint what he was reacting to. He certainly has much better skin, coat, ears and paws on this than other diets. Hope he stops itching soon.

It seems to be OK for them.. They both love it and woof it down. Which is unusual for Zig because he is the worlds slowest eater.

I have noticed her poos seem not so bulky or offensive and the farting has all but gone in a week.

My poor foster baby has demodex. She is being treated bit she was asleep today and rolled on her back and I realised that she has scratched herself red raw under her chin and jaw..

Poor baby must be so sore. So I took her off to the vet this afternoon and they did a skin scrape to check and found only dead mites, so the treatment has worked but now my little angel has a secondary infection. She has antibiotics now so hopefully that will clear it up..

I've never really been a fan of the "you have to change a dog's food over slowly" line of thinking. This is an animal that can eat poo and decomposing meat and be none the worse off for it mostly.

I'd bin the Supercoat (I think its rubbish food) and go with the better quality foods immediately. Unless the foster has a sensitive tummy, she'll do fine and Ziggy will be all the better for no access to the high grain SC.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

That's true HW.. My Ziggy has been having a right royal feast on alpaca poo for a few weeks now..

I have already mixed in the last of the Eukanuba with the Earthborn food..

I stopped the supercoat the other day, I just couldn't stand the farting the girl was doing.. She has been on the Euk/Earthborn for the last few days.. It has made a big difference to her, she has hardly farted at all the last 24 hours.. Poo patrol today was much better and the poo size has definitely decreased. There wasn't any runny stuff either, which has to be a good thing.