Collars For Dogs With Lots Of Neck Skin?

I'm hunting a new collar for Josie. Because she is a basset and has lots of excess skin around her neck the collar makes it harder for the air to get in to the folds and while she doesn't get anything really nasty going on the lovely white fur around her neck looks grotty and discoloured. So I'm looking for a collar that will allow plenty of airflow. I've already nixed the idea of leather and I'm thinking a light nylon might be the way to go but most of the ones for large dogs are also quite broad and I'm inclined to think something narrower might be better?

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated :)

I'd also be keen to know what the most effective products for cleaning white fur on dogs.

Oh should have said, no collar is not an option as the kids have accidentally let the dogs out before and having a scent hound nose she just goes. I can't risk her not having a collar on even though it hasn't happened for a long while now. I would however consider something thin that is just for her tag and then putting a broader collar on for walking.

My bulldog is pretty jowly and can't be risked collarless. He wears a leather martingale because it can be fairly loose but tighten up if I need to grab him. He is however never unsupervised outside. It can come off easily so he would either lose it or there's the risk of it catching. Have you looked at K9 pro. They've got a range of syn-tek collars that look interesting.

Edited by hankdog

I've been trawling ebay and I'm wondering whether one of the thin paracord style show slip collars might work? Rather than setting it up as a slip collar I thought I could get one that was just long enough to slip it over her head and use the name tag ring to hold the rings together so it doesn't tighten. Luckily having such big ears her collar can be quite loose without coming off as the ears hold it on LOL.

I use tag collars. Some I make myself and some I have had made. Basically round plaited leather with a ring to attach tags to. Some of mine also have beads/bling :). Any of the show lead makers who do braided chord or leather should be able to do one for you if you can't braid or don't know someone who can.

My favourite shampoos for my white coated dogs are Chris Christiansen white on white and plush puppy whitening shampoo.

Edited to add a photo of one of my collars

post-5072-0-62931100-1373334084_thumb.jpg

Edited by espinay2

I use tag collars. Some I make myself and some I have had made. Basically round plaited leather with a ring to attach tags to. Some of mine also have beads/bling :). Any of the show lead makers who do braided chord or leather should be able to do one for you if you can't braid or don't know someone who can.

My favourite shampoos for my white coated dogs are Chris Christiansen white on white and plush puppy whitening shampoo.

Edited to add a photo of one of my collars

Thats the type of collar I was thinking of

If you know how to do basic knotting, it's really easy to make basic paracord dog collars yourself. Just google 'paracord dog collars' and you'll find plenty of instructions/youtube videos etc. I'm been making mine out of a double Solomans bar knot, because I like a wide collar, to be visible under all the corgi fur! I bought paracord from an Australian site (PM me if you want the link, or any other pointers) who were really prompt, but I also used some fluoro nylon string from Bunnings, which worked well too.