Amstaff Getting Aggresive Towards Me

chris001

He is really obedient and working on more, he knows sit, stay, lay down, heal, stop, shake, bed. Some commands like stay, sit, lay down I dont have to say it he knows my hand signals for all 3 of those commands. I've put alot of time into this dog some stressful some not, probably the best dog ive had to date.

I know he would probably be getting agittated because he has'nt been getting the attention he had and so on but it will go back to how it was.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your pup has had a lot of change ..little decent attention /training, and has been kept indoors a lot. As you are confused by his body language , this indicates that you really do need to learn more about what makes a dog 'tick' ..and as he is very confused about all the changes in his routine - this makes two of you who need a set action plan..some assessment and information/education from a well qualified professional, like K9Pro , or Glenn :)

We didn't have a back fence untill last week, had in in a room with nothing in it at the time but he still managed to detroy the walls, doors, and the floor board skirts in a matter of a couple of hours when we were gone. He was provided with toys bedding etc. I find the chain to be a better option, its around a 20ft chain but I tie it down shorter so he cant reach the stuff we dont want damaged but he still has alot of length left to do his own thing while we're not home, have'nt had any problem since I used this option.

Chriss this is a Amstaff you purchased mate, what where you thinking buying one without fences? This breed NEEDS constant mental stimulation and exercise. If you think you've got problems now then he's only going to get worse being a chain dog. This is not a set and forget breed, it's very demanding and need's to be a part of the family unit. Being locked in a bedroom all day with only bedding and toy's is only asking for trouble "BIG TIME".

For curiosity’s sake...

* When he growls and barks at you, is it a monotonous bark with each bark the same pitch and the same space between barks, or does it vary? Does the bark start soft and increase in volume, or does it start loud and stay loud? Does he stand still and straight or does he shift his weight to his hindquarters? Is he wagging his tail? Is the growl coming from deep in his chest or more from his mouth?

* Do these episodes occur at a particular time of day? Or when you are preoccupied with house chores?

* When you moved him away from you, did you push or drag him or do something else?

* It is good that he is still obedient when he’s doing this. Will he lie down when asked?

* Are you doing Nothing In Life Is Free with him or something like it? If not, I think you should start. There is an article about it here: http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/nothing-life-free He should know that the key to getting what he wants is to sit or lie down quietly and patiently wait. If you haven't been using NILIF so far, don't start all at once now. Start with basic things when he is calm and only ask for a very quick sit/down. Gradually expand to other life rewards. It's like a sneaky way of teaching him to be calm and polite and ask nicely when he wants something instead of trying to take it. I would move it into play pretty quickly, especially if he's already so obedient when aroused.

* How much chewing/licking does he get to do? Do you give him Kongs or bones to chew on? I would be looking at feeding him all his food he doesn't get in training in Kong form. It will give him something constructive to do with his chompers.

his bark is usally at the same pitch but does very from time to time and does get pritty loud, ears tilted back, chest on the ground with his butt up in the air tail wagging sometime and at other times he stands on all fours with his back straight ears tilted back and tail pointing straight no wagging like he's ready to go, he did the same thing tonight but only wanted to play as what I wrote just before.

He seems to do it some of the time when I'm in the kitchen playing around with him or even sometimes just when I look at him, and the back yard just a few times.

I wouldn't know how to explain his growl but it does'nt intimindate me at all only the first time it happened, I hope thats enough to go off I can see what you have written once I've clicked reply.

We didn't have a back fence untill last week, had in in a room with nothing in it at the time but he still managed to detroy the walls, doors, and the floor board skirts in a matter of a couple of hours when we were gone. He was provided with toys bedding etc. I find the chain to be a better option, its around a 20ft chain but I tie it down shorter so he cant reach the stuff we dont want damaged but he still has alot of length left to do his own thing while we're not home, have'nt had any problem since I used this option.

Chriss this is a Amstaff you purchased mate, what where you thinking buying one without fences? This breed NEEDS constant mental stimulation and exercise. If you think you've got problems now then he's only going to get worse being a chain dog. This is not a set and forget breed, it's very demanding and need's to be a part of the family unit. Being locked in a bedroom all day with only bedding and toy's is only asking for trouble "BIG TIME".

if you read it we have only just moved to this house we had the dog before moving, we moved here and there was'nt a fence, we had to wait around two weeks for them to put one up.

The Amstaff is a very, very vocal breed and many people have mistaken this for aggression. I'm sure during my dogs play time my neighbours think i'm holding Pit Fight's !

Haha maybe mines coming out of his shell, was once a quiet pup.

Without seeing the behaviour no one can say what the motivation is behind it (and therefore how to work on it). It could be just bull breed mouthing/playing/overexcitedness or it could be him trying to control his environment/you. You need to get a pro out to have a look at what's going on, meet him, meet you, and give you a game plan moving forward.

I recommend Glenn Cooke at Pet Resorts Australia if you're in Sydney. He's got over 20 years experience behind him, particularly with aggression issues. It's a small up-front cost to guarantee his future.

http://www.petresortsaustralia.com/training/personal-training-2/

Good luck and good on you again for seeking advice early! :thumbsup:

Agree with Melza, without seeing it, we can speculate all we like but what sounds like aggression to one person, may sound like him just being a boofhead and trying to get your attention to someone else.

When I first read your post, my first thought was that is what Ziggy does when he has just dug a hole in the back yard - he comes and tells me about it, all excited.. Or if the cat next door is coming into the yard - he barks and carries on (to some he may seem like he is going to attack the cat but he is just excited to see her).

When Zig plays with my son, he barks, jumps around, head down, bum up, tail wagging.. He plays rough with my son (he is 22) but when Zig plays with me, he isn't as rough and he doesn't even pull on the tug toy as much with me as he does with my boy.

However, if you are unsure about your dog then you need help, professional help to learn how to read your dog and if it is aggression, to sort it out.

Good luck

For curiosity’s sake...

* When he growls and barks at you, is it a monotonous bark with each bark the same pitch and the same space between barks, or does it vary? Does the bark start soft and increase in volume, or does it start loud and stay loud? Does he stand still and straight or does he shift his weight to his hindquarters? Is he wagging his tail? Is the growl coming from deep in his chest or more from his mouth?

* Do these episodes occur at a particular time of day? Or when you are preoccupied with house chores?

* When you moved him away from you, did you push or drag him or do something else?

* It is good that he is still obedient when he’s doing this. Will he lie down when asked?

* Are you doing Nothing In Life Is Free with him or something like it? If not, I think you should start. There is an article about it here: http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/nothing-life-free He should know that the key to getting what he wants is to sit or lie down quietly and patiently wait. If you haven't been using NILIF so far, don't start all at once now. Start with basic things when he is calm and only ask for a very quick sit/down. Gradually expand to other life rewards. It's like a sneaky way of teaching him to be calm and polite and ask nicely when he wants something instead of trying to take it. I would move it into play pretty quickly, especially if he's already so obedient when aroused.

* How much chewing/licking does he get to do? Do you give him Kongs or bones to chew on? I would be looking at feeding him all his food he doesn't get in training in Kong form. It will give him something constructive to do with his chompers.

his bark is usally at the same pitch but does very from time to time and does get pritty loud, ears tilted back, chest on the ground with his butt up in the air tail wagging sometime and at other times he stands on all fours with his back straight ears tilted back and tail pointing straight no wagging like he's ready to go, he did the same thing tonight but only wanted to play as what I wrote just before.

He seems to do it some of the time when I'm in the kitchen playing around with him or even sometimes just when I look at him, and the back yard just a few times.

I wouldn't know how to explain his growl but it does'nt intimindate me at all only the first time it happened, I hope thats enough to go off I can see what you have written once I've clicked reply.

chest on the ground with his butt up in the air

This part would indicate to me you have a normal cocky Amstaff pup and he "is" respecting you . He's just wanting to bring the game to you. When he does this any you play make sure that it's you that's ending the game. You "MUST" get to know his "off" button !!!!!

ALWAYS !!! If in doubt seek a reputable trainer that "know's" the Amstaff. There are many Trainers around but not many have had experience with breeds such as the APBT/AST.

People are using the term "aggressive" a bit too loosely these days. confused.gif

I agree with Runamuk_AST. From what I've read this sounds like a confident, maybe a little boisterous puppy but not aggressive or dominant. He really is only a baby at 5 months and will behave like one too for a while still. :)

ALWAYS !!! If in doubt seek a reputable trainer that "know's" the Amstaff. There are many Trainers around but not many have had experience with breeds such as the APBT/AST.

Any trainer that would deal with a particular dog's behaviour by attributing it to its breed would be one I'd run a mile from. You deal with the specific behaviour in the dog in front of you, not any generalised notion of what you think you might "know" about the breed you're dealing with.

There are plenty of atypical dogs around and plenty of trainers who've learned the hard way that dogs don't always behave in ways you might expect. Assumption is the fast track to trouble in my opinion. Observation is how all experienced trainers commence dealing with a dog.

This sort of thinking is how we got BSL in the first place. You CAN NOT assume that because a dog is a particular breed, it will have a particular temperament, triggers or traits.

Genes make up only a part of how a dog behaves. You need to factor in all the other issues before you have an accurate analysis of the dog you are dealing with.

I agree with Runamuk_AST. From what I've read this sounds like a confident, maybe a little boisterous puppy but not aggressive or dominant. He really is only a baby at 5 months and will behave like one too for a while still. :)

Anyone game enough to make an assessment of a dog's behaviour based on owner description and not direct observation is playing with fire. I don't care how well you think you know a breed peeps, you do not know THIS dog.

Have a care about the reassurances you're giving here. I hope you both realise that the dog's breed is by no means certain anyway.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I agree with HW. Everyone is making guesses here, no one can be sure what behavior the dog is exhibiting, not just because we can't see it but because we are also relying on the owner to read and describe the dog and we can't be sure they are reading the behavior accurately or what they might be leaving out that could be important.

There's already been advice in this thread given that is simply inaccurate, we shouldn't confuse the OP any further IMO.

I'm all for this person seeking professional advise asap as the first post suggests that the owner isn't quite certain about what's going on. IMO if your dog behaves in a way you would describe aggressive, then consult someone more knowledgeable. If it turns out not to be aggression after all, then great! If your assumptions were right then well, you've got help close by.

Edit: I think I remember OP from his previous thread. I hope your other pup went to a good home.

Edited by Hockz

It may not be aggression it could be prey drive or a number of other things but it doesn't have to be aggression to be dangerous behavior

This exactly.

Glad you're back and asking for advice Chris, hope you can get someone good to see you and your pup ASAP. He sound like a clever little fella, I'm sure with the right plan and support in place you can get him on track :)

If help can't be given without a professional, then why is there 3 pages of this thread already?

IMO there is a limited number of things that can help the OP in the interim that is reasonably safe and unlikely to do any harm to the dog or make things worse if caveats are respected.

* NILIF

* Not provoking the dog and keeping it away from the kidlet.

* The dog is already getting lots of training and that can keep as long as it is training that doesn't rev the dog up.

The behaviour and body language descriptions paint a picture of a playful dog, but having had a playful staffy mix decide to play tug with my arm, I don't find that completely reassuring. It is at least encouraging that the dog is responsive to the owner, but if he's slipping into a state of high arousal that may change with little warning. It's a very good thing to learn how to manage the dog's arousal before we find out what he might do with it. Then we never have to find out and potentially get a nasty surprise and simultaneously end up with a dog that has a new behaviour that fairly urgently needs to be stopped. Arousal reduction attempts are also unlikely to do any harm and may do some good.

* Massage

* Training stays or mat work (Karen Overall's Relaxation Protocol is very good for all sorts of dogs)

* Giving him outlets that involve chewing or licking.

Just have to be careful to acknowledge many of those may be reinforcers for this dog, and as such should not follow right on the heels of unwanted behaviour. My rule of thumb is 10 seconds for Erik, but for many dogs 3 is enough. Perhaps if it is often happening after a game, you could try making play time shorter and spending a few minutes when you want to finish up calming him down with long slow strokes and massage. Or play for half a minute, calm him down, then play again and calm him down. That way you're always a step ahead and he learns to calm down quickly.

I'm sure there are others. We don't need to cut people off because the "a" word got tossed around. The OP says they will get professional help. Good. In the meantime, there are things that are good for any dog to learn or practice and should help any problem related to elevated arousal and in some cases problems related to (dare I say it) dominance as well.

The behaviour and body language descriptions paint a picture of a playful dog, but having had a playful staffy mix decide to play tug with my arm, I don't find that completely reassuring.

I don't share your confidence in the descriptions being accurate. I've watched a room full of dog trainers puzzle slides of canine behaviours put up for discussion. How is a pet dog owner supposed to get it completely right?

The line between a play bow and stalking behaviour can be a fine one. The odds of a five month old pup displaying predatory behaviour to its owner are extremely slim but my view is never say never until you've seen the behaviour for yourself.

Puts me in mind of a trainer who was contacted by the owner of a Golden Retriever pup complaining about the pup biting them. She said the owner had contacted a few people who wrote it off as mouthing and dispensed the usual advice. When she visited the house, the owner showed her the sort of bites the pup was inflicting - they were deep wounds. It had a serious aggression problem.