Dogs Sa & The Select Committee ?

Christina

According to this months magazine there are 11 recommendations in the final report.

Some for cats only.

That is a huge reduction from the initial document.

Dogs SA say they approve them all in principle but have concerns about registration & its effect on members & how it will be managed.

Hopefully all the silly ones about carpet cleaning, disinfecting bowls & vets approving diets etc & RSPCA having access to all Dogs SA information on members have been removed but

Does anyone know exactly what the 11 recommendations are ?

Internet search has found the government site but I can't open PDF files on my computer.

Edited by Christina

Sorry I meant if one of you can open the file on your computer & then post the link of it when its opened I think it will show up on mine already opened.

Try this: http://companionanimalwelfaresociety.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Select-Committe-Submission-Amended-Final1.pdf

ETA: It looks the same as you posted I think?

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Sorry I meant if one of you can open the file on your computer & then post the link of it when its opened I think it will show up on mine already opened.

Try this: http://companionanimalwelfaresociety.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Select-Committe-Submission-Amended-Final1.pdf

ETA: It looks the same as you posted I think?

Yes but I have it open now. Going to read & will come back after I finish. Thank you.

That seems to be their personal submission on the 16th of January not what has been accepted to be made law.

Others made submissions too but its not saying what they intend trying to pass.

The figures given for euthanasia I am skeptical about. Very.

It does not seperate what came in & was returned to owners & what was so ill it had to be euthanised, what was deemed unsuitable temp & what was up for re home & was euthanised because it wasn't quick enough & they needed the space.

I don't think 74% of all unwanted dogs were found homes. Not the point I guess though.

Any more recent info appreciated.

Have now read the 69 page final report & cannot believe that Dogs SA approve these recommendations. The whole thing is geared towards making it easier to breed cross breeds in government approved facilities & for pet shops to sell puppies.

How it can be ok for pups to be in a pet shop on display being there for the sole purpose of getting sold quickly as possible to make a profit & not ok for pups to be at the breeders home with their mother being sold to selected homes that are suitable for the breed where the breeder screens the buyer & gives full disclosure on the breed & suitability ?

The breeder also says No to the wrong homes. Pet shops do not even know if they are the wrong homes.

Pet shop aim is to make the maximum profit quickly. I am so disillusioned.

Most of these recommendations are not really in the interest of the animal, many not good breeding practise & will not solve the problem of so many in the pound or the euthanasia rates. I can find so many flaws but there are far too many to list.

Being a small registered hobby breeder will eventually mean being treated like some kind of a criminal. How can people let this happen, accept it & think it will do some good ?

Its useless & very biased to businesses.

Edited by Christina

Have now read the 69 page final report & cannot believe that Dogs SA approve these recommendations. The whole thing is geared towards making it easier to breed cross breeds in government approved facilities & for pet shops to sell puppies.

How it can be ok for pups to be in a pet shop on display being there for the sole purpose of getting sold quickly as possible to make a profit & not ok for pups to be at the breeders home with their mother being sold to selected homes that are suitable for the breed where the breeder screens the buyer & gives full disclosure on the breed & suitability ?

The breeder also says No to the wrong homes. Pet shops do not even know if they are the wrong homes.

Pet shop aim is to make the maximum profit quickly. I am so disillusioned.

Most of these recommendations are not really in the interest of the animal, many not good breeding practise & will not solve the problem of so many in the pound or the euthanasia rates. I can find so many flaws but there are far too many to list.

Being a small registered hobby breeder will eventually mean being treated like some kind of a criminal. How can people let this happen, accept it & think it will do some good ?

Its useless & very biased to businesses.

Thank you Christina and I agree but just as Vicdogs have not uttered a word about proposed changes to the codes in Victoria SAdogs are being dropkicks - end result large scale commercial kennels are advantaged and small hobby breeders are forced out.

What they are saying is that it is ok to breed any dogs to be sold in pet shops as a business & for profit as long as you comply with their rules, they are actively encouraging this but not ok to breed a pure bred dog with pedigree ancestry, health tests & as much traceable history for health & temperament because you love the breed, want to breed it to its very best advantage & share your love of your breed with other people & continue its survival.

On a very small scale to commercial breeding I may add.

They are not getting pedigree dogs with papers in the RSPCA & AWL & on the rare odd occasion that they may, as in case of death etc they absolutely refuse to return the dog to the breeder even if they offer a lifetime rehome. I know I asked them.

In SA they will not work with other welfare groups either.

Rules such as disinfect bowls & pick up new born pups several times a day, 4 I think, which is big risk as many mothers object to this & may try to hide or even destroy pups if disturbed so much are not going to make a dogs life better or ensure humane treatment.

What's it all really about ?

It must be devastating & distressing for them to have to euthanise so many animals. I cannot imagine doing their job but this is not the right way to go about solving the problem. It may even increase the problem.

I am absolutely amazed that people are just accepting this. Its beyond my comprehension.

Especially Dogs SA. It is totally against their members.

Is anyone reading the whole report or even understanding it & where it will lead ?

Thank you Christina and I agree but just as Vicdogs have not uttered a word about proposed changes to the codes in Victoria SAdogs are being dropkicks - end result large scale commercial kennels are advantaged and small hobby breeders are forced out.

'Scuse me? I guess you aren't a member of Dogs Victoria, which would explain why you haven't seen the posts on the DV Facebook page or the DV website asking for DV members to read and respond to the second draft review of the Code of Practice.

Any input you may care to offer would be welcome.

'Scuse me? I guess you aren't a member of Dogs Victoria, which would explain why you haven't seen the posts on the DV Facebook page or the DV website asking for DV members to read and respond to the second draft review of the Code of Practice.

Any input you may care to offer would be welcome.

Actually I am a member of Vicdogs and I dont use facebook and hadnt noticed the call for responses on the website - still cant find what their responses were to the fist draft or which way they will be going in their final response - perhaps you could direct me to it?