New Camera Bag Or Insert?

piper

So I got my new lens. I love my new lens. But it is a BEAST. No way will it fit in either of my camera bags attached to the body. Given that it will be my most used lens (mostly take pics at herding trials and dog shows) I want a bag that will let me leave it on the body. I really don't want to have to take it on and off every time I pack up - especially at herding where it can be very dusty.

Does anyone have any suggestions of suitable bags (I am thinking back pack but open to alternatives).

The other thing I have been wondering about is those camera bag inserts you can get to put into other bags, like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Ciesta-Flexible-M-Camera-insert-Partition-Padded-Bag-Case-for-Lens-DSLR-SLR-/260915595185?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item3cbfc807b1&_uhb=1

Please suggest away :)

I have a Lowepro Flipside 300 which I'm really happy with. The seperators for the compartments are all fastened by velcro, so you can make them as big or small as you want. It fits my 70-300mm lens on camera no worries with room for a couple of other lenses etc.

It's quite easy on the back for a long day of hauling around, with a strap that goes across the chest and one at the waist to help distribute the weight. It opens from the back rather than the front. If you take it off your shoulders with the waist strap still fastened it can be swivelled around to the front and sits there (sort of like a little table attached to your waist), making changing lenses a bit easier (terrible explanation, sorry - I hope it makes sense :) ). Lots of other storage for bits & pieces too.

Thanks. Fastpack 350 is the other main 1 I am considering. I think the 250 is not quite large enough for the 70-200 attached to body. Looking at the specs the 100-400 lens is actually not as long (which just seems odd, lol)

I am still seriously thinking of an insert though, then I can put it any suitable bag. The positives I have read on doing that is that is doesn't scream "expensive camera equipment stored here" like some of the other bags do.

From what I can see the 70-200 is approx 1cm longer - depending on which camera body you have it should fit into the 250 backpack. I have the 60D and there is a bit of room still with the 100-400 lens on.

The only way you can really be sure is to go to a store and see which one fits your kit better.

T.

Decision made - I ended up with the Lowepro Flipside. I decided to stop in at Harvey Norman when I drove past on the way home today and have a look. They happened to have it there and a sale on. Camera with lens attached, 2 other lenses and my flash all fit in the Flipside 200. Not that I will often carry everything in it but good to know if going away I can :)