Omg I Entered An Obedience Trial!

So I'm taking Rilla to her very first Obedience trial tonight...and I'm freaking out!!! I'm just going for fun, have a fair amount of confidence in her - it's my nerves I'm worried about! What do you do to stop nerves before a trial - and someone please tell me that after your first trial you won't feel nervous lol!

RMR :laugh: - well, I could tell you that ...... but I'd be lying. :rofl: I've been trialling in various disciplines for more than 20 years - and I still get nervous - or rather, I did. With the lil big man now in Obedience and Rally at least, because of the way we've trained, with the help of several gurus (some of them on DOL), I can now go into the ring fully prepared to have fun - it's made such a difference.

My best advice - stay engaged with Rilla the whole time - play with her in between exercises - it will help both of you. Keep your pace nice and brisk - keep smiling, keep breathing, and concentrate on appreciating what she does well. If there are goof ups, don't focus on them - just tuck them away in the back of your memory ready to put them into your training plan.

Have fun!!

One other thing I try to remember myself and remind people in my classes...

Your dog's behaviour is not a personal reflection of you. Don't get caught up in the trap of tying your own sense of self-worth to your dog's performance, whether walking down the street or in the trial ring.

If my dog works well and is happy it indicates:

1) My training program is on the right track

2) My handling was good

If my dog makes some errors it suggests:

1) I have some holes in my training/handling

2) It's not the end of the world.

Every trial I've ever competed in has a mix of both those outcomes!

Lol - thanks for that Tassie & TSD! I'm not at all worried about how Rilla behaves - she's technically still a puppy! :)

I'd be SHOCKED if I got a decent amount of points - just cause I know myself, plus Rilla's incredible at picking up on my moods/feelings :D

Nothing I can add to the above comments - they're all more experienced than I am. All I can say is my dog now has her CCD and we're heading into the CD ring next month. Yes, I'm nervous but I'm also VERY excited and looking forward to trialling Indi in Novice and finding out whether I'm on the right track with her training. The nerves will be there but I think it also increases the bond you have with your dog - you're in this together - a team :)

So...the trial was last night....

Rilla was so calm but I was a nervous wreck, which (of course) really affected out performance in the ring. My sister took a video clip of me either the phone & I watched it as soon as I finished. No wonder my poor dog wouldn't do anything! My signals were WAY out, my body language was completly off - Oh my goodness! I think Rilla took one look at me at the beginning & said "you've clearly gone crazy Mum! Oh we'll, guess I'll do my own thing" LOL! I'm laughing about it this morning. I've got to go back tonight & I'm hoping I won't get as nervous!

On a more successful note - we ran the Rally-O course after that, it was heaps of fun & I was surprised & happy to hear at the end that we'd gotten a qualifying score of 92! I'm not actually sure what that means - I thought they had to get 3 qualifying scores under at least 3 different judges??

I'll take a pic of miss Rilla later with her medal & certificate :D

So...the trial was last night....

Rilla was so calm but I was a nervous wreck, which (of course) really affected out performance in the ring. My sister took a video clip of me either the phone & I watched it as soon as I finished. No wonder my poor dog wouldn't do anything! My signals were WAY out, my body language was completly off - Oh my goodness! I think Rilla took one look at me at the beginning & said "you've clearly gone crazy Mum! Oh we'll, guess I'll do my own thing" LOL! I'm laughing about it this morning. I've got to go back tonight & I'm hoping I won't get as nervous!

On a more successful note - we ran the Rally-O course after that, it was heaps of fun & I was surprised & happy to hear at the end that we'd gotten a qualifying score of 92! I'm not actually sure what that means - I thought they had to get 3 qualifying scores under at least 3 different judges??

I'll take a pic of miss Rilla later with her medal & certificate :D

Sounds like my first trial! Just breathe!

You need 3 qualifying scores to get your title under 2 different judges. take heart and great encouragement from that score. It is ABSOLUTE PROOF that you and and your dog work well together so use that to remind yourself in the ring tonight. Just remember that the judges want you to do well!

Thank-you! All the judges were really friendly & helpful - I was under the impression that judges were kind of mean lol!

Congrats on the rally-o, what a great score!

And don't be so hard on yourself with the obedience - we've all been there. It was a learning experience for you and you've already figured out what you have to work on.

I've always found Obedience people (judges & competitors) to be both friendly and supportive - that's one of the reasons I enjoy competing

Edited by gsdog2

Great score for your first Rally trial. It was lovely that you could do that after the obedience, to reassure Miss Rilla that the aliens hadn't really kidnapped her mum :D .

So you've had your first trial ring experience - you won't have to do that again - and you know that the judges are really nice people, and want you and your dog to do well. So you can go into the ring tonight, pretending it's just a training run, and know that the skies won't fall if something does go belly up. :laugh: