Are Old Slr Cameras Saleable/desirable?

*kirty*

My Dad was going to throw out his old SLR camera, complete with box and lenses. I've grabbed it but don't know how to use it or if it even works. Would a camera shop be able to service/check it for me? And if it does work, do people want them? Not looking to make a fortune, would just like to see it go somewhere other than the tip!!

ETA: I've just had a look and the camera is a Pentax and there are several lenses, filters and external flashes. It al seems to be in good condition. It must be about 30 years old. Wish I knew how to use it, it looks like fun!

ETA more... Google tells me it is an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F with a Super-Takuma 1:1.4/50 lens, from 1973. Photo is from Wiki:

Sp_f_blk.jpg

Edited by *kirty*

.... Not looking to make a fortune, would just like to see it go somewhere

Limited market for SLRs - some collectors around, but they know the models that were top of their range, limited edition or whatever. One way is to contact local TAFEs or colleges that offer photography courses. Most courses insist on the students having a good SLR to learn the fundamentals well, before they move to digital. I think the usual requirement is that the camera have full manual controls with either nil or minimal auto features. (Or better camera stores stock some traded-in SLRs that are suitable for photography students).

Some of the old Pentax lenses suit DSLR and are lovely lenses, worth finding if they are compatible as part of the advert wording.

(Nifty-fifty has stood the test of time eh!).

That is a good example of the type of SLR that is worth having. Spotmatics are awesome cameras. The low end consumer models though of any brand you can barely give away though. Even though Spotmatics are good I'd check the average price because I think you will find the service cost will exceed the value. if you are interested in getting into photography you should keep it and learn with it :thumbsup:

That's interesting. As I have my original SLR with sigma (Pentax) lenses. Hmmmm you have me thinking. :laugh:

Didn't think they were any good for DSLR.

Love my Pentax was so easy to use.

We have two different bodies and a bunch of lenses. We've never really had any exposure to Nikon / Canon but have no issues with the quality of the images from the Pentax cameras. We have an *istD (an early 'pro' model from 2003-4) and a K200D. Worth a look anyway :)