Rspca Act & Das

Haven't seen this posted on DOL anywhere and am curious to know what it will mean for rescue in the ACT.

[/url]

Bright new future for Canberra's animals (press release)

After nearly 60 years at Weston, the RSPCA is to relocate to a new, purpose-built facility in Narrabundah Lane, Symonston, the Minister for Economic Development, Andrew Barr, and the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, Shane Rattenbury, announced today.

The new animal care and protection facility will combine the functions of the RSPCA and Domestic Animal Services (DAS), and create a ‘one stop shop’ for animal welfare, regulatory and compliance issues, benefiting both the animals in their care and the ACT community.

The facility will allow people to reconnect with pets that may have strayed, purchase surrendered pets, seek specific veterinary services, surrender animals, report animal welfare issues, find information on how to care for their pet and attend training days. The facility will also house and care for injured wildlife, such as birds and possums.

Mr Rattenbury said: “This is an exciting and innovative project, and the first of its kind in Australia. The project will not only deliver a state-of-the-art animal welfare facility, it will also streamline and enhance the level of service the two agencies provide.

“The new combined facility will allow each of the agencies to focus on their core services, remove overlaps in responsibilities and work together to provide the best possible animal welfare outcomes.

“In particular, the facility will be a great boost for animal welfare – ensuring the Territory’s pets and animals are cared for in a comfortable environment, and providing staff and volunteers with a modern, purpose-built facility.”

The RSPCA and ACT Government are now working together to develop models of care and an overarching master plan for the creation of the new facility.

These arrangements will be the subject of consultation between RSPCA and the ACT Government, with staff and volunteers from both agencies to be involved in the process.

RSPCA ACT and the ACT Government are excited about this new innovative project and look forward to working together on it.

Mr Barr said: “The RSPCA ACT has been in this location since its formation in 1955 and performs an important role for animal welfare in the ACT.

“The ACT Government is delighted to have reached an agreement that provides a new facility to boost animal welfare, and provides a secure, long-term future for continued operations of a joint RSPCADomestic Animal Services facility.

The ABC news report said, I think, that the new facility would be ready in 2016.

Michael Linke wants to work with rescue, not sure in what capacity, some rescue/breed groups had a meeting a couple of years ago and briefly talked about this issue once the new shelter was up and running, nothing really came out of it but it was good to see us all together chatting about different things.

I am sure Michael will get us all back later or closer to 2016 to pool ideas from everyone and see how we can all work together which will be a first I think in Australia.

Maree

CPR

i would be interested to know about this as well and also to the point of the temperament testing that is done by the testing team would this be allowed or would it be the RSPCA way???

Eleni this was mentioned briefly at the meeting and Michael said that they would set aside pens for rescue and he wanted the temp testing to continue by ARF, as I said it was just in passing so from here on in maybe we all need to start thinking about what we as rescue in the ACT and others interstate might like to see happen and we can at least go into meetings prepared and with ideas.

Maree

CPR

Edited by keetamouse

when I saw the interview it gave the idea that there would actually be 2 separate buildings near one another not one co-located unit. Interesting development either way and makes sense. Government gets its hands in a multi million dollar piece of real estate to sell, the facility gets a brand new building in a more appropriate place and hopefully a better layout working wise with council.

So does this mean that the DAS facilities will be merged then?

It all seems very good....

I would be getting any agreement from RSPCA and Michael in writing to be safe. I'm not saying anything negative but its better to be safe than sorry and it pays to cover yourself.

I would love to see a copy of the AWDR agreement that has been used in SA & a number of other states now, just to see how it is worded.

i would be interested to know about this as well and also to the point of the temperament testing that is done by the testing team would this be allowed or would it be the RSPCA way???

Eleni this was mentioned briefly at the meeting and Michael said that they would set aside pens for rescue and he wanted the temp testing to continue by ARF, as I said it was just in passing so from here on in maybe we all need to start thinking about what we as rescue in the ACT and others interstate might like to see happen and we can at least go into meetings prepared and with ideas.

Maree

CPR

Good idea Maree. Even though its three years away it will fly by.

Either way there will still be the same number of dogs coming through, if not more so there will be plenty of room for volunteers I"m sure.

I would be getting any agreement from RSPCA and Michael in writing to be safe. I'm not saying anything negative but its better to be safe than sorry and it pays to cover yourself.

Not sure why you think that it would not be in writing.....we would all be pretty stupid not to have it in writing.

Maree

CPR

Edited by keetamouse

ARF already have an MOU in place with DAS in relation to temp testing so we've had some practice in it.

But Michael has always been good about working rescue so though the arrangements may change I'm sure he won't all of a sudden shut the door.

Not sure why you think that it would not be in writing.....we would all be pretty stupid not to have it in writing.

Maree

CPR

Never hurts to state the obvious sometimes, I'm sure you're all on top of it :)

What does it mean for the existing Community Companion Dog Club given the RSPCA is going to run training classes - I've heard they were not consulted?

The RSPCA have always run classes so I assume it would just run as normal.

There is plenty of room for dog trainers in the ACT IMO!

What does it mean for the existing Community Companion Dog Club given the RSPCA is going to run training classes - I've heard they were not consulted?

The RSPCA have always run classes so I assume it would just run as normal.

There is plenty of room for dog trainers in the ACT IMO!

the good thing is there is plenty of time to get all these sorts of things worked out :thumbsup:

I visited an amazing facility in LA earlier this year that had the SPCA(LA) on one side and the "council pound" on the other. Inspiring management and a great combination of resources.

O/T but you made me curious. Looked it up. You're right...innovative & inspiring.

http://spcala.com/humane_education/humaneeducation.php

Edited by mita

No word of a lie I had tears in my eyes when I saw the thought that had gone into the group housed cat facility. It's such a nice place the LAPD drop in to have their lunch with the cats.

That is so sweet! Police taking their lunch break around the Zen-calm of cats. :) What a great way to socialize the pusses, get them into the public eye & also provide a community service.

Along with the other projects I read about on their website... they'd be do-able here. With not a lot of expense.

I very much liked the Compassion & Loving program, linking (carefully chosen) young people from the Juvenile Justice System with shelter dogs.