Cancelling Holiday To Stay With Elderley Dog

kwirky

If you read my kenneling thread you will see I am having some issues with this too. One of dogs has a liver condition and there is no way to tell how long she will be around for. She is only 3. I am concerned about her care if I went away and also if it would stress her. I was only going for a couple of nights too but they would end up in the kennels for about 4 nights.

In this case I would talk to the vet and get their opinion. I remember going to the vets bawling my eyes out once as I thought I was taking my dog in to be put to sleep. The vet fixed her up and she lived another 3 years!

We take alot of very ill/terminal dogs in boarding .

I think the biggest advice i can give is being honest with yourself about whether you dog will or won't cope & not from an emotional point of view but a realistic one.

We have had clients drop there dogs off who have been very honest & picked there holiday plan accordingly had an excellent back up plan if things went wrong & above all a letter to the vet regarding "what ifs" etc etc .

We have then had those who quite frankly hope the dog will drop dead or we have to make the decision .Not a fun option for us.

We also have those who drop of dogs & say they have **** health issue & all is fine & its very obvious when they bring the dog they either haven't processed the severity of there dogs illness or choice to simply ignore it & we have turned people away because it was very evident the care the dog needed was not a job for other people when at that stage .

We also have those who simply don't see who frail there dogs are until they pick them up & some do them feel guilty for maybe not thinking of there dog more or appreciating its an elderly senior now.

A good kennel if informed of all the facts should say up front whether they feel comfortable in being the care giver of your dog & some will say no .

Taking elderly/frail/terminal/health issue dogs can vary greatly,we actually fined many go home happier & healthier because they get to be a dog & not smothered as much by there owners which makes them feel good ,sometimes it can be a wonderful break for both parties .

Gee it's a hard one K. But on balance I know exactly how you feel. I've decided I essentially won't be going away and leaving the dogs behind now until Mac falls off his twig, particularly after my last lot of drama with him. Its also not overly fair on my lovely mother who dog-sits for me - I couldn't bear it if he passed away on her watch - she'd be devastated. Instead I plan trips where they can go too - to my favourite pet friendly B and Bs and on road trips to friends where they can come too. Could you plan something like that instead ? smile.gif

Edited by westiemum