Breed Id, Councils & Dog Judges...

Pjrt

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/victoria/councils-in-dogfight-on-bad-breeds-as-show-judges-threaten-to-dump-identity-deal/story-fnii5sms-1226706039350

DOG show judges are threatening to abandon an arrangement with the State Government to identify restricted breeds for councils.

Dogs Victoria says it is being ignored by councils and discredited by the courts.

DV vice-president Graham Tracy said some of its judges were refusing to deal with councils, after rangers, "who don't have the knowledge of distinguishing between breeds", rejected advice.

"It's a waste of time to bring our expertise in and not take any notice of it," he said.

Under Victoria's restricted breed legislation, council officers must qualify a dog's breed against a gazetted visual standard.

The laws have since drawn widespread criticism from council officers and courts, as well as dog lovers.

Mr Tracy said DV and the Department of Primary Industries determined last year that all-breeds judges would host information sessions for councils and be called to assess pit bulls.

"Councils are now identifying the dogs and asking us to come in to check out what they've assessed is right or wrong, and they've taken the word of the council officers before we even see them," he said.

He said DV judges were having to sign affidavits and being dragged through the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal and Supreme Court processes, despite their opinions being discarded by councils.

Agriculture Minister Peter Walsh said he was aware of Dogs Victoria's concerns. "I undertook to consider the matters they raised," he said.

Municipal Association of Victoria CEO Rob Spence said he would be happy to talk to Dogs Victoria. "We'd like to get them involved to find a solution," he said.

Councils are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars battling to uphold pit bull declarations in court.

Barristers Animal Welfare Panel chairman Graeme McEwen said councils had lost 80 per cent of contested pit bull declarations in VCAT. "That suggests they're not doing a proper evaluation."

Universe, please let this whole BSL fall apart!

Councils have lost 80% of the cases taken to VCAT. I'm sure there have been assessments that weren't appealed that they got wrong too. I bet if you factored that in they be up around a 90% inaccuracy identification rate. That is simply ludicrous and animal abuse at its bureaucratic worst.

So if I were those judges and my knowledge was asked for and then discarded, at the expense of innocent dogs, I would be livid! And if I was a family who had lost a loving dog to this ridiculous and clearly flawed legislation I'd be making a compensation claim against the relevant council because intelligence and knowledge may not work but hitting them in the hip pocket will! Let's get rid of this law that is achieving nothing but heartache!

Councils are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars battling to uphold pit bull declarations in court.

They were told, they knew what was going to happen! And what is still to eventuate. I distinctly remember someone on here years ago mapping out exactly how things would unfold word for word, including the dogsvic judges would some day walk away.

eek1.gif

None of us had a chrystal ball. This is exactly what happened in Qld.

Barristers Animal Welfare Panel chairman Graeme McEwen said councils had lost 80 per cent of contested pit bull declarations in VCAT. "That suggests they're not doing a proper evaluation."

Honestly. Might suggest their system doesn't work?