Blowing Coat

Lhok

I wouldn't recommend a furminator for a spitz coat. Don't know about Akita's but it shreds the top coat of Samoyeds

Yeah I used to used a furminator on my LabxKelpie's coat but I think I would do some damage to Treble's coat if I used one on him. I was looking at a mars coat king though size 18 double. Would that be any good?

--Lhok

The mars coat king is the copy cat version of the Oster rake http://www.osterpro.com/Product.aspx?id=groomer&cid=1008&scid=0&pid=6397. The Oster still has a very small blade edge on the inside of the teeth but not as big as the knock offs usually do. I use this one on a lot of sibes and mallys and I find there is nothing better. I don't find it cuts the top coat at all really, the teeth manage to separate the guard hairs without cutting them. The only time I have found it to cut is when it hits a matt in the coat. However the one Akita I tried to use it on her coat was so thick that the teeth couldn't get down into the undercoat so it only worked on some areas - granted she was not blowing coat at the time just needed a good brush so it would probably be more effective when in full shedding mode.

Arctic Breed Rescue sell them for $40.

I would steer clear of the furminator as you said, and a blower will definitely make it easier.

Les pooches brush. Love it. I use the purple handled pro version but they do have a cheaper blue handled version now that you could try.

http://www.lespoochs.com/brushes.asp

For pin brushes I use Chris Christiansen brand 'fusion' (with the coloured handles).

But most of my grooming I do with the dryer rather than brushes which are mostly for 'finishing'.

I don't use anything with a blade. Blades and even poor quality brushes break and damage the hair shaft creating 'burrs'. These then catch on the other hairs and create Matt's and tangles. I have found by changing to good quality brushes with polished tips and being 'gentle' with the coat I have significantly reduced the amount of work needed and the amount of matting in the coats. I have also found using a rinse of a bucket of water with a few squirts of plush puppy Seabreeze oil in it at the end of the bath (sponged through the coat) helps to protect it.

Edited by espinay2

For the double coat on BCs and the Spitz coat of my JS, I only ever use a Collie comb and Mason Pearson Popular bristle and nylon brush. I own a huge assortment of grooming tools gathered over the years including finer combs, assorted brushes, slickers, Mars Coat King, etc, etc but find I rarely use any of them. The only time I use the Coat King is to break up a knot but I would never use it on the top coat of any dog.

A good brush, Collie comb, suitable shampoo and conditioner when needed, plus a force dryer are all that is needed to groom these coats. Do not wash a Spitz coat that is blowing without removing as much hair as possible or it will turn to felt as soon as it gets really wet. Dampen the coat thoroughly with a spray conditioner and line brush all the dead hair out until you can run the Collie comb through and find no tangles. You can also use a force dryer on cool to help get the hair out before bathing. Then shampoo without rubbing, rinse, condition and comb through while the conditioner is on, rinse and blow dry while brushing against the lay of the coat.