Blowing Coat

Lhok

Treble is starting to blow his coat however it isn't coming out in clumps it is sort of weaving into its self and matting up. His pants section is horrible, I have been trying to get it out with a pin and slicker brush after combing through it but it isn't going so well the undercoat I have been pulling out feels similar to wool.

helpful hits appreciated.

--Lhok

I haven't had that with Kyojin, but I've found that in order to get the hair out quicker, a really good bath and blow dry helps loosen up all the dead hair. Maybe try that? Do you have a force dryer or even just a hair dryer that you can use on him? Using the dryer on Kyojin gets out stacks of hair.

I haven't had that with Kyojin, but I've found that in order to get the hair out quicker, a really good bath and blow dry helps loosen up all the dead hair. Maybe try that? Do you have a force dryer or even just a hair dryer that you can use on him? Using the dryer on Kyojin gets out stacks of hair.

I hadn't thought of using a hair dryer. I don't have a force dryer and I can't afford to buy one atm. I'll give it a bash with my hair dryer, It has a cool air function on it as I don't want to burn him or his coat.

--Lhok

A hair dryer won't be as effective as the force dryer as the benefit of the force dryer is the strength of the airflow. It basically blows the hair straight and blows the loose hair out.

Reasonable forced air dryers can be bought for under $200 these days (check out the Pupkus dryers or some of the ones on the Petnetwork website for instance).

A dryer can be worth its weight in gold if you have double coated dogs.

A 'cheaper' alternative though is to find a DIY dog wash as they will usually have dryers available.

I have a page on grooming that may have a few tips on it that you can use: http://www.espinay.com/grooming

A hair dryer won't be as effective as the force dryer as the benefit of the force dryer is the strength of the airflow. It basically blows the hair straight and blows the loose hair out.

Reasonable forced air dryers can be bought for under $200 these days (check out the Pupkus dryers or some of the ones on the Petnetwork website for instance).

A 'cheaper' alternative though is to find a DIY dog wash as they will usually have dryers available.

I have a page on grooming that may have a few tips on it that you can use: http://www.espinay.com/grooming

Thank you :) I'll check out the links and have a look at the pupkus dryers :)

--Lhok

Thank you :) I'll check out the links and have a look at the pupkus dryers :)

--Lhok

Go to Petnetwork. They have the Lazor RX Dryers. They are the same as the Pupkus but cheaper.

Another vote for a force dryer. I have a lazor rx & they do an amazing job. From memory it was around $190. It is really powerful & most of the time I have it on the cool setting to save coat damage. It really get rid of all that loose coat. What else I like is you can adjust the velocity so you can start on a puppy around his pants at full strength & up around his head where he may be a bit scared you can slow it down till he gets used to it.

Don't feel stupid Lhok. Sometimes they will blow coat when the weather warms up as it has of late.

Edited by BC Crazy

The DIY dog wash at my work has a dryer if decide that your hair dryer isn't doing it. I've seen the bath after a husky blowing coat was in there....it most definitely would work in the meantime until you get your own big one.

My only problem is some dogs hate the sound (most are pet dogs that have not had regular exposure to that sort of loud noise, like my own girl, she HATES the dryer)

$2 on Mondays :)

The DIY dog wash at my work has a dryer if decide that your hair dryer isn't doing it. I've seen the bath after a husky blowing coat was in there....it most definitely would work in the meantime until you get your own big one.

My only problem is some dogs hate the sound (most are pet dogs that have not had regular exposure to that sort of loud noise, like my own girl, she HATES the dryer)

$2 on Mondays :)

My hairdryer sucked hard (it barely did anything) rather then blowing all the hair away :( I think you will be seeing us either tomorrow or sometime within the week :D

--Lhok

I wouldn't recommend a furminator for a spitz coat. Don't know about Akita's but it shreds the top coat of Samoyeds

Yeah I used to used a furminator on my LabxKelpie's coat but I think I would do some damage to Treble's coat if I used one on him. I was looking at a mars coat king though size 18 double. Would that be any good?

--Lhok

I wouldn't recommend a furminator for a spitz coat. Don't know about Akita's but it shreds the top coat of Samoyeds

Yeah I used to used a furminator on my LabxKelpie's coat but I think I would do some damage to Treble's coat if I used one on him. I was looking at a mars coat king though size 18 double. Would that be any good?

--Lhok

That has blades doesn't it?

If it does I wouldn't.

Best thing with a spitz is a good comb, slicker and pin brush

--Lhok

That has blades doesn't it?

If it does I wouldn't.

Best thing with a spitz is a good comb, slicker and pin brush

Any suggestions on good brushes and combs? There are heaps out there and I want something that is good quality :)

--Lhok