Can A Two And A Half Year Old Dog Go Through A Fear Period?

My almost 3 year old desexed American Staffordshire terrier has suddenly become fearful when we are walking. He stops randomly,crouches down and refuses to budge he looks very worried. this has only recently started occurring and will only move if we turn around to go home ! I don't know what to do? He has a 4 year old female amstaff as his best friend who is very outgoing, he has always been shy and reserved but has a lovely happy nature when at home and around people.ps he is not fear aggressive or anything like that just cautious.

He could have recently been traumatised by something. Have you observed the trigger? Sighting of a bicycle, a type of vehicle, a cat, some kind of noise? My bet is that the behaviour is not random but is in response to something.

Does this happen when he is being walked together with his outgoing amstaff friend or only when he is being walked alone?

If you walk in a different direction (e.g. cross the road) does he accompany you or will he only move if you move in the homewards direction?

Will he continue to move past his home in that direction or will he insist on returning home?

It will be helpful to find out if he is refusing to pass something or if he is fleeing to the safety of home, before any suggestions for modifying this behaviour can be offered.

He could have recently been traumatised by something. Have you observed the trigger? Sighting of a bicycle, a type of vehicle, a cat, some kind of noise? My bet is that the behaviour is not random but is in response to something.

Does this happen when he is being walked together with his outgoing amstaff friend or only when he is being walked alone?

If you walk in a different direction (e.g. cross the road) does he accompany you or will he only move if you move in the homewards direction?

Will he continue to move past his home in that direction or will he insist on returning home?

It will be helpful to find out if he is refusing to pass something or if he is fleeing to the safety of home, before any suggestions for modifying this behaviour can be offered.

sorry not great with figuring out replies! He only walks with the other dog he has separation issues , he is stopping in different places and wont come any farther. when we turn for home he is eager to get there and so happy once inside he is scared of skateboards,scooters and children but none have been around usually he will pull a bit when they are around but once they are gone he is fine and continues on he is now stopping whilst crossing roads etc and I have to drag or carry him off! not easy when he weighs 27kg and I have another one on lead :(

no its in different places, I like to change their walks , there has been a fair bit of building in the area that we are walking past could it be noises I cant hear? I started him on a martingale/head collar to manage him more effectively when he was trying to escape from skateboards coming past etc as he was pulling hard this seemed to settle him a bit more when he is at home he is happy and confident. he has never refused to cross roads before .