At What Age Do I Switch To Adult Food

I am very confused as to what age I should be switching my puppy to adult food.

My 6-7 month old male border collie is currently on holistic select large breed dog kibble. The reason he is on the large breed puppy kibble is because I was told there is no difference between large breed kibble and the normal breed puppy kibble nutrition wise. Well surprise surprise there is a difference in protein and calcium levels.

PJ seems a little 'stocky' at the moment and I'm unsure if this has something to do with the puppy kibble or are male border collies stocker than females?

Should I be switching to an adult kibble.

Hope I'm making sense I have been awake since 2am and can't sleep and my head is in scrambles.

I'd check with your breeder - different breeders have different preferences. My BC boy came on large breed puppy - but to be switched to a medium level adult food at 14 weeks. His breeder has found that her dogs do better on that sort of regime.

In general males will be somewhat stockier than females - as in usually will have heavier bone, vroader skulls etc. At your pup's age, I'd be starting to look towards keeping him leaner - especially if performance sports are in his future. And subject to what your breeder says, I would be switching him over to an adult kibble (over a week or two). I woiuld also be keeping an eye on his weight - he can afford to lose any puppy chubbiness now - you should be able to feel ribs when you place your palms on his back - pointing towards his tail - thumbs either side of his spine. The ribs should be fairly easily felt - think of running your fingers over the back of yor hand - there is covering over the bones, but you can feel them easily.

Border Collies can finish growing in height any time from 6 months to 18 months so no one can give you a magic age to change them over or a weight they should be. Weight at 6 months can vary from 13-18 kgs and the dog can still be lean and healthy. Adult weight for males can be anything from 17-26 kgs with most around 20-21kg. Only very active or skinny puppies need to be on puppy food. Once they start to feel a little chubby, by feeling the ribs as described by Tassie, change to adult food. I like my puppies to feel solid but lean so I can feel ribs but I don't want them skinny and some are impossible to get any weight on.

I feed a mix of raw and dry (different meals - a couple of days of 1 then a day or 2 of the other kind of non scientific type of thing). I also like my dogs to stay lean and grow slower so I have them on adult food from about 3 or 4 months. When feeding raw there is difference in what you feed, only the quantities anyway.

Having said that plenty of people use puppy food for much longer and have no hassles. Ask your breeder what they suggest.

When you say "stocky" - can you feel his rubs when you gently run your hand over him? If there is a fair bit of covering over them and they are difficult to feel then I would cut the quantity of food back regardless of what the food is.

It is easy to overfeed kibble of any type because its so energy rich. I think the nutrient ratio is more important than the type, I still occasionally feed giant puppy kibble to my 18 month old although shes normally fed raw but I'll swap her over to adult when this bag runs out.

I also subscribe to the idea of growing pups slowly and keeping them quite lean, less weight on joints while they are growing. Maybe in addition to feeding the VAN mix, just cut back on the quantity of food if he's a bit heavy.