Difficult Time Getting Off The Floor

kwirky

II have found that big dogs can gradually just lost the strength to get their frames up from the floor as they really age. So while pain relief etc can make them more comfortable, if the strength is fading it won't actually help them lift up.

That's like what the vet told us about our elderly Sheltie.... who had the same problem. She was bigger than standard, about the size of a teenage Rough Collie. The vet said it was from age-related muscle wastage. I remember wondering if swimming could help keep the muscles going a bit better. So I can understand people recommending Bowen Therapy. I wish I'd known about it then.

Our old GSD was on cartrophen, fish oil, glucosamine and prescription med Mobic (a human med, you can get it from the vet as well), plus ocassionally Tramadol during the winter when his hips were bad (also a human med). It made a world of difference to his mobility, so much so, he still wanted to play fetch right up until the end.

Our old GSD was on cartrophen, fish oil, glucosamine and prescription med Mobic (a human med, you can get it from the vet as well), plus ocassionally Tramadol during the winter when his hips were bad (also a human med). It made a world of difference to his mobility, so much so, he still wanted to play fetch right up until the end.

Mobic is the human equivalent of Metacam.

Mobic is the human equivalent of Metacam.

Yes, but we found it was a lot cheaper using Mobic than Metacam.

Yesterday was a great day for Hunter. He was so perky (we call him Perky Tits when he is like that) and playful.

It is probably a coincidence but I had made up the Tumeric mixture I mentioned and popped it in his dinner. Within about an hour he was being puppy-ish. I will keep giving it to him and see if that makes a difference. He seemed to sleep well last night also.

post-36628-0-62548400-1378960263_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Just a little follow up.

Hunter now has some Rimadryl to use as necessary. Vet is very happy with his health and the arthritis is not extensive, mostly wrists and ankles.

We got some of the foam jigsaw mats from the Reject Shop which we have placed in the bedroom. He has been able to get up with no issues at all. When he lays on the wooden floor he still has trouble from time tl time.

My old MAremma is about the same age. She wont lie on bedding indoors as she gets too hot but I put a bed in front of her so she can grip on that when I help her up. She knows now to grapple for the bed. It's heartbreaking to watch :( She is on Carprieve daily. It didn't seem to help her last winter but this winter it has. So if you've tried a drug before which didnt work and have had a break from it it's still worth giving it a shot again down the track.