Sleeping Problems

airlock

hello again guys and girls.

We really thought we had dealt with the night crying issue but it appears its made a dramatic reappearance. over the last 2 nights hes gone back to ]crying barking and throwing himself against the door of his room, we keep him in the spare bathroom now as he injured himself doing this in his crate. tbh im a bit stuck as he seemed to be fine for a week with no problems but now seems to be as bad as ever. The only thing that has changed is that he now spends more time during the day with us.

i managed to calm him down last night by sitting outside the door and giving him a spray with water whenever he got hysterical witch seemed to work but i don't think its a good idea to associate his space with negative consequences...although he sees bed time as toture at any rate. any idea on how to sort this? we usually let him ware himself out but when he gets all worked up he is reallt bad for causing him self some damage.

Can you put him in his crate next to your bed? That way he is still confined but he will settle quicker because he is still near you.

Jager slept in his crate next to our bed from night one. First night he whimpered for about 10mins but that was the only time he did it (apart from needing to toilet).

Can you do some training or something to wear him out before you put him to bed? That way he is nice and tired?

Can you put him in his crate next to your bed? That way he is still confined but he will settle quicker because he is still near you.

Jager slept in his crate next to our bed from night one. First night he whimpered for about 10mins but that was the only time he did it (apart from needing to toilet).

Can you do some training or something to wear him out before you put him to bed? That way he is nice and tired?

Good idea, well move it in tonight.

unfortunately wearing hime out doesn't seem to work, he gets a walk and a run through all his tricks an then about half an hour to chill before he foes to bed. but even if he is dozing on the floor he will wake right up and start fighting as soon as we put him to bed.

Good idea, well move it in tonight.

unfortunately wearing hime out doesn't seem to work, he gets a walk and a run through all his tricks an then about half an hour to chill before he foes to bed. but even if he is dozing on the floor he will wake right up and start fighting as soon as we put him to bed.

Sounds like that half hour is the time to put him to bed to chill, especially if he's falling asleep on the floor.

Guest hankodie

Are you getting him used to his crate at other times of the day? Even just feeding meals in his crate might help, or leaving treats in there randomly for him to find.

He's not tired enough. Get him up, no naps during the day either, keep him awake as much as you can. Thats my trick with the Malinois, they sleep like logs all night.

we keep him in the spare bathroom now as he injured himself doing this in his crate.

HOw bad was the injury? Unless we're falling apart I'd leave him be.

Airlock, a browse over your posts so far indicated that your pup has a few issues relating to confidence.

I have to say that physically injuring himself when separated from you doesn't seem "normal" behaviour from such a youngster.

I wonder if you need someone with experience and skill to actually visit you and see this pup in person before prescribing how best to manage him.

I'd say you need to establish a routine and stick to it but I am no fan of physically isolating pups at night and even less of a one for bathrooms as the place to do it. Set the crate up where you want him to sleep for the rest of his life and consider putting it in a warmer and more busy part of the house.

My dogs all sleep in the bedroom and that works for me but if that's not what you want, don't move the pup there now.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Are you getting him used to his crate at other times of the day? Even just feeding meals in his crate might help, or leaving treats in there randomly for him to find.

He usually has about 3 short sessions a day ranging from half an hour to about an hour and a half and he gets his breakfast and dinner in there at the moment but he wont eat it unless we are with him and he if we leave then he tends to either ignore it or just pick at it.

He's not tired enough. Get him up, no naps during the day either, keep him awake as much as you can. Thats my trick with the Malinois, they sleep like logs all night.

we keep him in the spare bathroom now as he injured himself doing this in his crate.

HOw bad was the injury? Unless we're falling apart I'd leave him be.

he cut his nose up pretty bad bashing against the side so we are a little weary about it at the moment, he was a lot calmer in the bathroom for a while before it all kicked off again, we though it might just be an issue of space but it does seem like more of a separation anxiety problem now.

well thanks for all the advice. we decided to move him into our room witch is going well so far, we were also advised by the vet to get him a smaller crate so he wont be able to hurt himself as easily.

hes been more or less perfect since we moved him so hopefully thats the end of it :)