Trimming Feet On Ckc's?

HugUrPup

I have noticed many people with Cavaliers (the dog kind :p ) leave like moccasins on their feet. Miley used to have the hair on top of her feet left long too but it often got tangled and she would leave foot prints through the house after getting them wet.

Since becoming a groomer I keep her feet trimmed and they look like Lab feet.

If someone comes in with their CKC spaniel, would I trim the top of the feet or are they meant to be left long?

I think I'd ask the owner. And explain their options and why you do your dog's feet the way you do.

There's heaps of pictures on google for cocker spaniel clips both pet and show clips.

Some groomers have an album of photos of before and after pictures so customers could see what you mean.

If I knew long fur around the feet was going to mean mud puddles in the house, they'd be getting lab paws.

Some of the clips look like the feet get "hemmed" like you hem jeans - so the fur sits clear of the ground.

The CKCS is an untrimmed breed, including feet. For breed standard grooming the feet are grown out and left naturally long. This is my preferred look as I think it balances the dog nicely, but virtually every pet CKCS owner I have met in 27yrs grooming, and that's a lot of CKCS! , have wanted their feet trimmed off. I groom pet feet on them much the same as Golden Retriever. Once the foot is washed and dried comb the hair between the toes up and trim it of level with the shorter hairs on top of the foot using thinning scissors (some groomers reverse a 4# over the foot instead of using thinners). Comb up again to check for stragglies, then using your fingers, pull all the hair between the toes back down under the foot, then lift the foot up and trim around the edges with straight shears. Most pet owners also like the hair under the pads clipped out which I do with the shortest setting on the 5in1 blade on my trimmers, or you can use a 10# or carefully trim it out with scissors. I find most pet owners also want the hair cleaned off the entire hock, as well as up to the stopper pad at the front. You can do this by running a 7# or 4# reverse and neaten with scissors, or use thinning shears to trim those areas, which is my personal preference.

Here in summer when the grass seeds are on the run some CKCS owners that have experienced grass seed issues even ask for 'Poodle feet!" which I do reverse 10# as I think any shorter looks too silly!