The Husher - Anti-barking Aid

Mollyrulz

I would definitely not recommend the husher to be left on any dog unattended.

Given the issue occurs when you are not there, you may need to block/ restrict/ change access. Desensitisation to recorded similar noises can also be helpful- although it may seem useless because he only does the behaviour when you're not there, changing the way he feels about hearing noises, seeing people etc when you are there is likely to have SOME carry over to when you're not. Unfortunately it's impossible to know whether the carry over will be enough to curb the problem hence why you may need to consider changing access.

If aversives are to be used it's very important that the aversive is only applied when the dog barks- the husher still has an element of restriction for the dog even when they are quiet which can be confusing. Citronella collars can have the same issue with a lingering smell when the dog is quiet.

Hang on- i just read your post again. There have been 3 barking incidents only when someone has been on the roof, the robbery was occurring and someone was running cabling along the house? If the barking is this isolated and specific is it really a problem?

YES - bcos my RUDE neighbours at the back have threatened to "ring Council to take the f***** dog away".... to teach me a lesson! They are too gutless to see me face to face but just shout abuse and hit on my fence when he barks...

Now when they stand and talk at the back of their house, my dog barks & growls at them ...which they don't like!... they tell my "good" neighbour that he is a nuisance even though he has not been barking daily!

If I were you, I'd make an appointment with the Council and explain the situation to them, in person. It doesn't seem to me like the Council woudl be interested in a vexacious complaint like that, particularly when yuo're a responsible dog owner, etc. It's often easier and more productive to deal with someone face to face, where they can also have to see you face to face.

Either that, or approach your neighbours directly and explain the situation to them, why the dog barks, and that you are doing your best to address the situation. Even ask them if they could let yuo know when there's an issue so that you are aware of it. Also explain that hitting the fence when he barks is just maknig the situation worse.

Edited by Alkhe

I have told my good neighbour to ask those complainants to speak to me but she says they don't want to and as the wife does not work and the husband is very rude (swears at her and my dog all the time!), I cannot do anything re approaching them.

I will monitor BUT I was asking in case The Husher works and my neghbour can put it on for him shd he go on ... but my neighbours cannot tolerate any amount of barking as they deem that a "nuisance" without trying to understand that it is ALWAYS triggered by something.. he doesn't bark daily, only when these "triggers" happen...eg workmen on roof, building cubby house which the complainant did!

If you're dead set on not doing any type of training, what about trying an ultra-sonic anti-bark device or some other thing instead of a muzzle type device?

Mot sure if u read my earlier posts... he has barked 3 times since my neighbours house was broken in which was end July.... does that mean I am "dead-set" on not doing any type of training?

Just asking if people have used this device and if it's any good.... that's all.

Pls read post before you say that I am dead-set on training which I have not said so... if barking occurs everyday and for hours on end, I will get training from k9 which I did for my other rescue dog!

If you're dead set on not doing any type of training, what about trying an ultra-sonic anti-bark device or some other thing instead of a muzzle type device?

Mot sure if u read my earlier posts... he has barked 3 times since my neighbours house was broken in which was end July.... does that mean I am "dead-set" on not doing any type of training?

Just asking if people have used this device and if it's any good.... that's all.

Pls read post before you say that I am dead-set on training which I have not said so... if barking occurs everyday and for hours on end, I will get training from k9 which I did for my other rescue dog!

I did read your post, hence my suggestion.

Your dog is reacting to workmen etc, personally I'd be dealing with it now before it gets worse and causes more problems, especially if the dog is distressed. Why wait until it's a constant problem if it's causing you problems now?

One of my MAremmas was play biting his sheep in his teen years. His breeder recommended a Husher so I went and bought one. Put it on him, took it straight off and its been sitting here boxed ever since. There is no way I'd use something like that, there has to be another way. In your case, I'd rather use a bark collar. As awful as they sound it's not a constant punishment, they only need a zap a few times and they learn, and they work! Im not saying rush out and buy a collar, but I'd use a collar over a Husher anyday.