Moving Feet During Stand For Exam

Hi all, let me begin by saying... we had this down pat... and now it's fallen apart! when I bring Milo into a stand, he shuffles his feet, and then when I "leave" him for the stand for exam, he's shifting his feet!!!! he doesn't move any "distance" as such, he's not technically "breaking the stay" but it is enough for penalty in the stand for exam.. How do I fix this... IN ONE WEEK!!!!

Hi all, let me begin by saying... we had this down pat... and now it's fallen apart! when I bring Milo into a stand, he shuffles his feet, and then when I "leave" him for the stand for exam, he's shifting his feet!!!! he doesn't move any "distance" as such, he's not technically "breaking the stay" but it is enough for penalty in the stand for exam.. How do I fix this... IN ONE WEEK!!!!

The more you nag the worse it will get. Obviously he thinks it's OK and that he is doing what you want, a wire has become crossed somewhere, only needs to happen once sometimes. I have had similar with show dogs who think it is OK to "stack" themselves after I leave. In your case I would change command, assume you are using "stay", why not use "stand" and confirm that what you mean is don't move even if a bomb goes off by examining the dog yourself, be more pushy than a judge would be and if a foot moves, replace it with a quiet firm command. Only use the command before you leave and if you need to affirm it, I think constant "stay, stay, stay" becomes a threat to dogs and makes them think the exercise is something to worry about. If you need to reassure in between use a quiet "good" Hope this helps, and sometimes it's better to lose a point or two for a foot than the whole exercise with a fed up or anxious dog.

ETA Should also have mentioned that I am assuming the dog is not sore anywhere

Edited by dragonwoman

I am a huge advocate of the "steady feet" game although I always teach it in a sit first (easier for you and the dog). Translates really well for stand for exam which, in my opinion, is a more complex exercise than we give it credit for. PM me your email address and I can hunt up some notes from the puppy games class I run if you like.

I am a huge advocate of the "steady feet" game although I always teach it in a sit first (easier for you and the dog). Translates really well for stand for exam which, in my opinion, is a more complex exercise than we give it credit for. PM me your email address and I can hunt up some notes from the puppy games class I run if you like.

I'll be of no help here Paddles, but I'd be interested in the steady feet game..... I have an overly people friendly spaniel and stand for exam has got to be the hardest exercise for us. It doesn't help when the stewards and judge fawn all over her just before we are to go in the ring. Grrr!!!!!

I'm back on my laptop now and have had several requests for more details of the "Steady Feet Game" - I did not invent it but these are my notes...obviously you need to have a food motivated dog (trust me, this can be taught!) but if this does not work for your dog I can just about guarantee it is a handler timing issue. I have used it successfully with many different breeds and with dogs the owners swore black and blue that they could not do a sit stay. You must teach it in a sit first and make sure the dog really understands how to control the reward. Only then should you translate it to a stand stay before adding distractions such as the 'judge' approaching and finally making contact with the dog. Don't forget to video your training so you can see what you are doing right and wrong!

This game requires really fabulous timing and co-ordination from the handler so do make sure you understand the why and the how. Ask puppy to sit. This is the only word you use in the whole game. Carefully watch the puppy’s front feet only. Take a treat and slowly deliver it from about 80cm away towards your puppy’s mouth. If the puppy’s front feet move the treat will fly away back to the starting point. Say nothing. If you get to 30cm of the puppy’s mouth and the feet haven’t moved, fly the treat rapidly into the puppy’s mouth. Repeat 2-3 times from different angles and heights and then release for a break, as it’s a long time for a youngster to be sitting still! We want 7-8 successes for every 10 trials so make it easier or harder as necessary.

What we don’t do: We don’t admonish puppy for moving – remember puppy needs to learn he has a choice. If he makes the right choice he is rewarded generously. Do not physically place puppy in a sit – start as you mean to go on. Finally, don’t tease puppy with the treat. If he makes the right choice FEED him!

What if the puppy can’t hold a sit for more than a second? Make it easier for him – set him up to succeed. Fly the food in towards his mouth faster and look for small improvements in understanding.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Love the steady feet game :)

One more thing to think about, have a look at how he is standing when you leave him. I had an issue where my dog was not standing square/balanced, so she would move her feet to straighten herself, but this then became habit. I had to retrain her moving stands to make sure she stands square.

Love the steady feet game :)

One more thing to think about, have a look at how he is standing when you leave him. I had an issue where my dog was not standing square/balanced, so she would move her feet to straighten herself, but this then became habit. I had to retrain her moving stands to make sure she stands square.

This is precisely the problem I have with my current dog. I wasn't even aware of it until I videoed us and he steps his front feet forward as I leave him - just about every time!