Qualifications

DobieMum

I have a long history of dog obedience behind me and have been a obedience instructor, agility instructor and have run a puppy preschool before, but I have nothing formal behind me. It may be time to do some studying. I'm not interested in the Cert IV's the Tafes are offering as I feel I'm past that and possibly looking at going into the behavioural side of things. I have done home visits before and have helped people and they're dogs, just not formally.

World wide and Australia wide where do people recommend looking at studying?

The Cert IV Companion Animal Services delivered by Delta was great when I did it 05/06, you really need to look at initial information packs for both and see what resonates with you as it's a very personal thing.

This one is not recognised in Australia, but some Cert IV graduates have gone on to do it: http://www.casinstitute.com/dip.abst.html

IMO people are looking for qualified professionals but that doesn't mean the best course is necessarily administered in Aus - so for my money I'd do the CASI Diploma if I was already running classes or had access to running classes.

I have a couple of friends who've done diplomas with CASI, based in Canada but online and been really happy with it. It is 'least invasive/minimally aversive' training though so skews positive, but not as much as Delta from what I understand. Being online though it requires a good internet connection, video camera and dog/s to work with.

Snap SnT :)

Edited by TheLBD

These are great Thankyou, something to look at. I found this one and it looks like it would be good too, what's people's opinions?

www.britishcollegeofcaninestudies.com

I'd be looking at the Dog Behaviour Practitioner Diploma. Even though it says there's one practical day involved over there, there is recommendations about it from people in New Zealand and South Africa, surely they can't have all flown over there, they must have worked out a practical day over here?

Edited by DobieMum

These are great Thankyou, something to look at. I found this one and it looks like it would be good too, what's people's opinions?

www.britishcollegeofcaninestudies.com

I'd be looking at the Dog Behaviour Practitioner Diploma. Even though it says there's one practical day involved over there, there is recommendations about it from people in New Zealand and South Africa, surely they can't have all flown over there, they must have worked out a practical day over here?

Some trainers do set aside money for international travel if they feel the content is worth it.

You need to check out the teachers delivering the course and who wrote the curriculum. :)