Chilled Semen

Remarkabull

We sent chilled semen from NSW to WA earlier this year. It was collected monday AM, arrived in WA Monday PM, was used Tuesday and Wednesday and produced a litter of 5. It's important that the people the other end have progesterone tested the bitch and that their vet is savvy in timing so that collection and shipping can be done at the appropriate time.

A friend has recently had a succesful mating with chilled (5 puppies on the 4 week scan). Bitch in WA and stud dog in NSW :)

Semen was collected Friday am, arrived late Friday pm and used Saturday and Sunday :) Hopefully the rest of the pregnancy goes well and we will have some cute babies to play with in just over 3 weeks :D

The hardest thing was the timing and having the stud dog owner ready to collect with little notice despite regular prog testing. While the stud dog owner was on standby they were asked the night before if they could collect the next day because that was all the notice the bitch gave with her prog levels :laugh: Sending on the Saturday probably would have actually been ok except that weekend flights are just that little bit harder to arrange. Facebook messaging certainly made our life that bit easier too as we could include 3 people in the organising and everyone was kept up to speed on what was going on :D

Edited by mirawee

Thanks guys.

I'm not sure how quickly it would take for the transport but I assume 1-2 days. the owner of the stud has done this many times but its my first using chilled. We did AI for her first litter any had 9 pups but it was fresh. We didn't prog test either, I just watched her behaviour with the stud and we did the AI on day 13.

Unfortunately there are not many vets up here experienced in AI and my regular vet doesn't do it at all and doesn't keep Prog tests in stock but one of the vets said she can do a vaginal swab and that will give us a good idea but as we have limited semen and limited time frame I'd rather be sure.

I'm seriously considering flying the bitch and myself to QLD for a week as it might be easier!

Thanks guys.

I'm not sure how quickly it would take for the transport but I assume 1-2 days. the owner of the stud has done this many times but its my first using chilled. We did AI for her first litter any had 9 pups but it was fresh. We didn't prog test either, I just watched her behaviour with the stud and we did the AI on day 13.

Unfortunately there are not many vets up here experienced in AI and my regular vet doesn't do it at all and doesn't keep Prog tests in stock but one of the vets said she can do a vaginal swab and that will give us a good idea but as we have limited semen and limited time frame I'd rather be sure.

I'm seriously considering flying the bitch and myself to QLD for a week as it might be easier!

If there are direct flights then the transport should be same day?

The breeder who I sent chilled to did the AI herself at home.

Thanks guys.

If there are direct flights then the transport should be same day?

The breeder who I sent chilled to did the AI herself at home.

The stud owner doesn't live in Brisbane so will have to drive a few hours to get it to airport so that's why it may take overnight.

I will be doing the AI at home myself with the help of another breeder.

I think I'm going to have to contact a few other vets up here and find one who is more experienced in this area.

Contact courier companies - door to door semi-rural Vic to semi-rural Qld - $187 guaranteed 24 hour delivery (will be less).

Toll or TNT, can't remember which but probably quicker to phone both and ask than wait for me to get home and find where I wrote it down :laugh:

Contact courier companies - door to door semi-rural Vic to semi-rural Qld - $187 guaranteed 24 hour delivery (will be less).

Toll or TNT, can't remember which but probably quicker to phone both and ask than wait for me to get home and find where I wrote it down :laugh:

Thanks Sandra, the stud owner has already contacted transport companies and has given me a quote so I assume it will be as quick as possible it's just that getting anything at all to Darwin seems to take 10 times longer than anywhere else in Australia and I'm a bit worried that something will delay it and we'll miss out! I'm sure it will be fine, I'm just being a worry wart.

I have in the past purchased live aquarium fish and shrimp from the Eastern States to Perth with less than 24 hours via Platinum Express or TNT. Platinum is better. Pick up is from the airport which makes things quicker. Maybe you can find out if Airport to Airport is possible? It normally costs $30- $55 to send a small foam esky. I have also had Darwin to Perth in 24 hours.

Edited by Yonjuro