Running With Dogs

dee lee

Both our dogs have slowed down on their walks in the last two weeks - 11yr old GSD and 6yr old SWF... at first I was sad that the GSD was getting 'old' but then I noticed the little one not staying ahead as much.

We've put it down to the warmer weather for now.

Admittedly I did notice a marked improvement on her energy levels after I let her have a swim yesterday & then this morning when I poured a bowl of water on her mid run (post fish scale roll... :o ). But she's been slow even on cool mornings, so I don't think the heat is the sole culprit.

Admittedly I did notice a marked improvement on her energy levels after I let her have a swim yesterday & then this morning when I poured a bowl of water on her mid run (post fish scale roll... :o ). But she's been slow even on cool mornings, so I don't think the heat is the sole culprit.

As in Italics: I don't think so either, dee lee. I think you'll find she'll have days when she'll be as before and days when she just doesn't want to. Walking Honey and doing your running will have to become separate items. :(

All my dogs are pound rescue toy breeds, three I have had for 9 plus years and so I have had them long enough to notice their declining interest in exercise. Even the littlest one (whom I advertised on DOL once as an exercise machine :laugh: :laugh: ) has started to show signs of slowing down which was a shock. It seems to come suddenly. This time last year, I was doing quite brisk, twice daily walks of 3/4 hour. Our walks these days are little more than ambling along sniffing the grass.