Crate To Borrow Act/qbn?

Hi there,

We purchased a young boy from Canberra pound last week to be a companion for our Mastiff girl Daisy-Mae. In her joy and enthusiasm for having a new companion, has torn a cruciate. :( She needs 3 weeks rest and we have to keep them separated. Does someone in local rescue happen to have one I may borrow until I'm able to purchase one?

Advice on most suitable crate for giant breeds would also be appreciated. Was considering collapsible versions but not sure how sturdy these are. Especially for crate training our new, very boisterous youngster, 'Leroy'. May be better off looking at the sturdier versions on castors.

Many thanks

Shay

I also have a collapsible 'giant' sized crate if that would be useful. It will need a bit of a wash because it's been sitting near the sand arena, but it's solid. They are the beige coloured ones where the door opens up and sits back on top of the crate to turn it into a kennel. Actually, a friend of mine borrowed another one the same from me while her dog recovered from an ACL op and it is still in Queanbeyan at the moment because I haven't had time to collect.

Shaz

Thanks everyone.

Ended up buying a really good second hand collapsible one. Scaredy cat Daisy-Mae won't go in it - can't win! Trying to slowly crate train by placing food bowl in there for all meals. She practically contorts herself to lean forward and reach without stepping in or leaves the food if she can't reach. :o

Confinement period will be over before it gets used. Although, if she continues to chew freshly painted walls, she might just be forced in.

Shay

Only thing that enticed our old boy into the giant crate was a big, puffy doona. The big ones can never resist the soft :laugh:

Stupidly, gave her a feather down doona one night - Big mistake!!!! :eek: Have her now locked in bedroom with new $80 ortho memory foam pet bed (hidden under mattress proctector). Left her with lots of chew toys etc. Trying to confine a 2yo giant puppy for 3 weeks - a nightmare.

Poor girl, I hope she is feeling better..

She looked happy to be out and about at the dog park on Wednesday.

Edit to add, on the crate training - I haven't had a dog yet that won't go in a crate for a milk arrowroot biscuit.

All my foster dogs get one every night to go into their crates for bed - as they sleep all night, it isn't a big deal to stay there with the biscuit.

Edited by Staffyluv

Ended up buying a really good second hand collapsible one. Scaredy cat Daisy-Mae won't go in it - can't win! Trying to slowly crate train by placing food bowl in there for all meals. She practically contorts herself to lean forward and reach without stepping in or leaves the food if she can't reach. :o

Confinement period will be over before it gets used. Although, if she continues to chew freshly painted walls, she might just be forced in.

I've had a few dogs like that. We open both doors of the crate and one of us stands at one entrance with a treat to lure the dog through the crate i.e. so he can't just stretch his head in to get the treat. Then we praise and reward like crazy once the dog is inside even briefly :laugh: