Left About Turn In Novice

Hi all... throughout ccd, I used a pivot left about turn, but now going into novice, I'd like him to do the round about left about turn. but my question is, how does he know that I am about to do a left about turn?? as opposed to just turning left??

I use the words "left about" while I am training this. The dogs very quickly pick up the idea and marry it to the words. Drop your left shoulder quite noticeably as well, far more than you would do for a normal left turn, and continue with this body language, gradually fading it until it is quite minor. In my experience, dogs learn this very quickly. Good luck.

Does your dog have good rear end awareness? What type of finish are you using? Something like perchwork would help with rear end awareness and how to pivot on the spot to stay by your left leg. A really good understanding of heel position also helps - if you place your dog in a sit and then move so that you are angled can your dog find heel position on its own?

Does your dog have good rear end awareness? What type of finish are you using? Something like perchwork would help with rear end awareness and how to pivot on the spot to stay by your left leg. A really good understanding of heel position also helps - if you place your dog in a sit and then move so that you are angled can your dog find heel position on its own?

yes, yes and yes, we have been doing pivot turns, but he and I have issues with them and whilst we are improving, I feel that we would be better to go to left about turns (roundabouts) he does them 50% at least of the time flawlessly, but I believe that the issue is my signaling? the turn? or failing to signal it clearly to him. I'm going to try to get some video of him/me to show what I'm doing wrong (and yes, I believe it's me, not him somewhere) I believe it's a lack of shoulder indication, but have trouble remembering to signal that way

I guess I'm looking for confirmation that that is what I am doing wrong???

yes, yes and yes, we have been doing pivot turns, but he and I have issues with them and whilst we are improving, I feel that we would be better to go to left about turns (roundabouts) he does them 50% at least of the time flawlessly, but I believe that the issue is my signaling? the turn? or failing to signal it clearly to him. I'm going to try to get some video of him/me to show what I'm doing wrong (and yes, I believe it's me, not him somewhere) I believe it's a lack of shoulder indication, but have trouble remembering to signal that way

I guess I'm looking for confirmation that that is what I am doing wrong???

I think what you call pivot turns are what I call military turns (where you both do a left about)and what I call pivots are what you call roundabouts? lol. The military turn simply involves your dog dropping back slightly so its head rather than its shoulders are level with your leg and a different command to right turns, I use 'back' because I want a slight drop back, then it is just experience and your dog learning to watch your body..........................."every little movement has a meaning of its own" but only old people would remember that song!! Dogs are masters of body language.

Yep, mine follows the shoulders. I slightly exaggerate the backwards shoulder movement and make sure they are held high for her to follow me around. If I want her to do round the back turns, my shoulder lowers and I move them forwards faster. Practice in a mirror to make sure it's not TOO obvious at least to the judge :laugh: